What would be a good topic for a hypothesis essay?...College thinking....

by FreedomFrog 14 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

k, well, I came to all of you for suggestions on my 1500 word euthanasia essay... guess what I got an A- on my paper. So I'm coming to all of you good folks to see what you all think would be good for a hypothesis essay. I'm stuck with ideas. My first idea was on puppy mills, but that just seems too lame for some reason. Then I thought, hey, what about "Controlling Religions". The paper needs to be something that I'm "skilled" at. I'm well skilled at being controlled by religion. Not sure though it's a good one.

They don't want us to use abortion or capital punishment because they view it as (as they say) "Dairy Queen... filling, familiar, and always just around the corner"....

So to get a topic of something not "around the corner"... I was thinking maybe the topic of controlling religion would be good. This essay will need to be about 2500 words.

Any ideas what the problems will be or any other suggestions for good topics?

Thanks

Froggy

• Legolas
    Legolas

LMFAO...forgive me (Not quit myself right now) ..but you mean a 'what if ' thing don't ya?

Now I forgot what I was going to say!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Not sure what you mean by "what if"...I'm actually trying to figure out what they want in the first place myself.

Though part of the directions explain "a hypothesis, whis is more specific and focused than a general topic, is a claim or a prediction that you are making as the basis of your paper.".

I am a bit confused at exactly what I'm suppose to do. Tonight I'm suppose to complete this 10 question research plan and one of the question is "what is your topic or area of interest? Two things have interested me. The puppy mills stuff...(very frustrating for me) and the cult/controlling religions...(also very frustrating for me).

So, I guess I need to find out exactly what they mean by "hypothesis" research. Though, I have to come up with something tonight. I can't ask them until tomorrow. I thought I would try here to get me started.

• snarf
    snarf

I think hypothesis means something that you believe to be true but has not been "proven". Topics such as ghosts, aliens, quantams would fall under this category. If you want to use the controlling religions, you could tie it into brainwashing techniques. Brainwashing is a highly believable tactic by controlling groups, but others dismiss it as nothing other than a personal choice or a mental instability of an individual.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi FreedomFrog -

Cool!! I'm glad you're taking classes. I need to get my butt back into a classroom...

I think you need to be clearer on what the objective of the essay is.

www.dictionary.com defines hypothesis as:

1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.
    2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.
    3. The antecedent of a conditional statement.

Typically what happens is that you make a preliminary guess about an outcome. In High School this was usually done in science lab. Before doing experiments we would write a paper detailing what we THOUGHT would happen based on the details we already knew. (Scientific Method: A procedure used by scientists to test hypotheses by making predictions about the outcome of an experiment before the experiment is performed. The results provide support or refutation of the hypothesis. [definition from biochem.northwestern.edu]) Sooo... After you are clear on the formula they want you to use in our essay, you might find that the controlling religion scenario would work. You could take the position of an outsider (householder) who thinks that JWs (or other) are just nice, loving devout people....

Then again, maybe *I* don't really know just what it is that you are supposed to do...!! Let us know more as you start outlining your Hypothesis. -Aude. The formatting is messed up... The quote from dictionary.com only had 3 definitions. When I put in quotes, it changed the numbering from 1.2.3. to 2.3.4. Sorry for confusion...

• Auchmull
    Auchmull

It sound like you would need to make a very specific point about controlling religions - for example, a cause and effect situation -- and then proceed to support that hypothesis in your paper.

So... the hypothesis says that controlling religions (define) use mind control and behavior modification to keep people in line.

This is proven by X Y and Z.

Or something like that.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

One of the things that the instructor said today was "a good research paper will offer a new insight into a topic".

So I need to come up with something that can make a person think. After all this is critical thinking... lol... or is the "critical thinking" for ME...)

The dictionary version "A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation" is more on what we are talking about. So far we've discussed how people can take information to be truth before actually doing a complete research and their information may be not true at all.

Hmmm, I'm still thinking here... hehehe (my brain is starting to smoke)

• blondie
  • FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Hehehe, that's so funny blondie that you would give me that link. I just came acrossed it a few minutes ago. We're on the same "thinking" wave thought it seems.

I turned in my assignment for tonight. Now for the next 8 weeks, I have to start collecting my information. The hypothesis is going to be how members are being mind controlled and how their behavior is being modified to stay in line... (thanks Auchmull )

And thanks to all of you... you got my mind working a bit more and I completed my 10 question research assignement... FINALLY! And that was the easy part, now it's the collecting and putting it all together. YIKES!!!!

It's 1am.. I'm off to bed.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I don't know if you are interested in a 'easier' subject, but you might consider something with your kids.

Either involve them in the 'experiment', or use them as the object.

Perhaps hypothesize about an outcome if you changed something in the way you interact with them and guess what their response/behavior will be. (I'd make it a positive change - LOL) It might be fun for all of you. (ie: Would they be more willing to try new foods if they themselves participated in cooking?)

The religion thing might be a bit too heavy with everything else you have going on right now...???

It's just a thought.

I involved kids a few times in my school projects. The kids remember them and we had alot of fun together.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit