Would you die for your brother......

by loosie 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anewme
    anewme

No. I used to think I would, but now----NAH!!!!

I would try to save a life, and being the klutz that I am would probably die in the process, but that would not be my intention.

Im through sacrificing myself if I can help it.

Life is precious, sweet and short.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No, but I don't expect them to die for me either.

Maybe there are some there who are secretly hoping the "other guy" will stick his neck out so THEY can live. Wishful thinking on their part.

LHG

• kid-A
    kid-A

The concept is too broad.

E.G. : Should a young man with a wife and three young children die in order to save an 85 year old retired widower with no dependents?

Its not an issue of one human life being "worth" more than another, the issue would be the balance of costs to other human beings following such a sacrifice. Three children forced to spend the rest of their lives fatherless versus the death of an older person, who would likely die within a few years regardless of circumstance.

It entirely depends on the context, and situation.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I would risk my life to some degree for others in a humanitarian way, but I wouldn't just say 'kill me instead of him' unless it was someone I gave birth to or who gave birth to me. Others would be on a case by case basis. If I knew I was ill and had limited time, I would definitely do so for many people. But just giving it up for the slightly creepy neighbors? I don't think so. I'm no Jesus!

• lowden
    lowden

No, not in a religious context anyway, which is what Jesus was meaning when he came out with the "....that he should surrender is soul in behalf of his brothers" line. I'm not keen on Jesus nowadays.

Peace

Lowden

• parakeet
    parakeet

lesterd:
    ***But obedience to the principle is what brings reward.***
    That's always been my problem with JWs and christianity in general--like children cleaning their rooms so they'll get an ice cream. Remember the racist cop in the movie "Crash"? He risked his life to rescue a woman he detested -- because it was the right thing to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit