Question for Ex Elders... Field Service

by zeroday 10 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

Behind the scenes, how did the Elder Body view Field Service. Were they enthusiastic about it, viewed it as necessary to maintain their position or just indifferent about it. In my 28 years inside I know of only one Elder that had the pioneer spirit and actually pioneered when he retired. Most Elders talked a good talk when on the platform about reducing our physical needs to find time to pioneer or increase service but I rarely saw one take their own advice. We had a PO that was always down on the publishers to do more in service etc. Yet when he retired 20 years ago he never pioneered nor his wife who never worked a day in her life.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Our elder body, with one or two exceptions, feels that we must be a "good example" for the congregation. But they know that it is virtually impossible to be an elder wityh the responsibilities and be in service all the time. We can't count shepherding calls, preparing for parts and more than one hour per week with our kids. So tour body will often say behind closed doors that an elder should do what he needs to. But put in face time by going to service groups. So long as the friends see you, the thinking is that you can go about your business afterwards.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

the view it as something important, but have busy jobs themselves, which they use as excuse.

the also view it as something to measure the spiritual state of the 'sheep'.

most actually do it because they need to be good example, not because they like it so much. Many time it is conviniantly used to get to know the members of the congregation better.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I pioneered and aux. pioneered for many years as a married elder with three kids.
    To be honest, I never really enjoyed the ministry, though I was pretty good at it.
    When the 1914 generation change came out in 1995, I stopped going out and never did it again.
    I had also come to the conclusion that the HtoH work did more harm than good, turning off more people due to the arrogance of the idea than it ever attracted.
    S4

• sspo
    sspo

Most of the elders wasted a lot time in service with the excpetions of few.

Pioneers were mostly sincere in trying to talk and reach the people.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

One hated it. Did everything he could to get out of it. "Umm yes well we have some calls to make" (who could blame him?)

The rest of us enjoyed it and were out often knocking away at those not at homes.

• free2beme
    free2beme

To become an elder you needed to put a lot of time in, after you were an elder it was more about watching how others were doing and not so much about how the elders did. Although, when the CO would come it was often mentioned that the elders and MS needed to take the lead in the congregation, as congregations with active elders would have better field service averages, then ones without.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

All the elders had a standing appointment at Mc Donalds. You'd think that clown would be converted by now!

W.Once

• FairMind
    FairMind

I think it would be impossible for anyone to answer the question of how do elders (as a group) feel about field service. No one I know has interviewed all of the elders. My gut feel though would be that elders have a variety of viewpoints about their personal field service.

My observations have been that some elders are rarely in field service (apathy?); some are in service regularly for the “right” reasons while others are there for socialization. I used to go in service with an elder who almost always ran personal errands and counted the time as field service.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Depends on that particular elder or elder body.... me, I hate it with a passion now. When I was a freaking bookstudy overseer I felt compelled to go out and waste every Saturday however since another brother took over he's lucky to see me there once or twice a month...

I also do the "I have calls to do thing.." or seriously work w/ my wife and go and have breakfast instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit