JW doctrine aside, where has your research of Christianity taken you to....

by evergreen 14 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

After dealing with JW Doctrine, first through Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses website and then by reading Crisis of Conscience, I went further in studying the Bible.
    I focused on the Hebrew Scriptures first, because it is the basis for the later Greek Scriptures.
    I read Who Wrote the Bible?, Is It God's Word?, and Forgery in Christianity. I'm currently reading Biblical Nonsense.
    So, I consider the Bible to be a combination of myths, history, poetry, and advise (good and bad).
    That said, I wouldn't have any problems going to a "Christian" Church for the social aspect. I kinda wish there was a Unitarian Church where I live, but I'm not too concerned about it.
    I don't see there being one "true" religion anymore.
    I consider myself agnostic.
    I never felt close to god as a Witness, and I'm not getting any calls from him now either.
    If there is a more "correct path" to follow, I feel that it has nothing to do with highly organized, centralised, Corporation-based religions. Instead, a return to nature, simplicity, and caring for the earth and the living beings that inhabit it. That is where I'm at for now.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Jgnat said it better than I could. I feel like she does almost exactly. I don't hang on every letter of the bible anymore. I feel the law of love is more important that "bible commands". I don't think any church has the "whole truth" nor is than any such thing. All churches are flawed as they are run by humans. But that o.k. As all churches do much good in the community and offer support, fellowship, friendship, etc. (except those who are legalistic and tied up with many works, i.e. WT) Lilly

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Evergreen:

At this time i have faith in Gods word. I know there are contradictions and things hard to understand and why God acted in certain ways throughout the old Testament, but i cant help being drawn to this book no matter what. It gives me personally, hope for the future; and without that hope, for me, there is nothing.

Ross:

IMHO religion and spiritual texts (of any flavour) are supposed to be tools to direct us to the Divine. By becoming preoccupied with the tools we miss the whole purpose of them. They are stepping stones, which might remain useful, but they become very slippery indeed if we continue to let them bear our whole [spiritual] weight......There comes a point where you come to the end of yourself, let go, and leap off into the void.

Evergreen, right now you are allowing Biblical text to "bear your whole spiritual weight", as Ross so clearly expressed can easily happen. You have allowed words written in a book to become your life, and so "without that hope...there is nothing". Actually, it's just the reverse. The conceptual hoped for future is nothing, an illusion of reality; and without it there is this moment of actual life and being in and around you. Perhaps it's time to "let go, and leap off" your stone which has become a coffin.

Read Ross' posts again. He explained the dynamics very well.

j

• Forscher
    Forscher

I am still doing that research!
    I will let folks know what happens.
    Forscher

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    If there is a more "correct path" to follow, I feel that it has nothing to do with highly organized, centralised, Corporation-based religions. Instead, a return to nature, simplicity, and caring for the earth and the living beings that inhabit it. That is where I'm at for now.

as am I

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit