Living in the era of "Generation Me"

by campaign of hate 14 Replies latest jw friends

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

This really got to me today at the WT study.

I am not ashamed to admit, i am part of that "Generation".

You get one role of the dice in this life, you got to take what you can now, in order to have a good quality life later.

I agree, we need to help and show love to our fellow man. BUT, not when this becomes the priority above our own needs, wants and aspirations.

Welcome to "Generation Me" WT, this is MY time.

Peace out.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

There is not a species alive on earth who puts others before itself.

Dont spend too much time contemplating their garbage. Life advice from window cleaners isn't going to offer much.....

speaking as an ex window cleaner

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    When you give yourself the right attention. And are generous and honest with who you are. There is an interesting side effect. You actually become more beneficial to others. Living in the jw vortex. You claim to be giving to others but are really always out for your own goals. Hours. Not to be humiliated. And so on. Screw them. Love yourself and you become more of an asset to others.
  • Generation Me
    Generation Me
    I found that comment in the Watchtower quite insulting when this article first came out. That's how I chose my screen name actually. I don't post often but lurk almost every day. Keep it up guys!
  • hybridous
    hybridous
    Great comments. The great JW lie is that if you trade this life in to do what they wish, you'll get it back (& more) later.

Unfortunately, there's nobody around to answer for it when you find out it's not true.
  • talesin
    talesin

They are, of course, recycling an old phrase that someone else invented. My generation, the Baby Boomers, was dubbed the "Me Generation", and I well remember the WTS railing on about the selfishness of this 'generation' when I was young.

from Wiki:

The "Me" generation in the United States is a term referring to the Baby Boomer generation and the self-involved qualities that some people associated with it. The Baby Boomers (Americans born during the 1946 to 1964 Baby boom) were dubbed the Me generation by writer Tom Wolfe during the 1970s; Christopher Lasch was another writer who commented on the rise of a culture of narcissism among the younger generation.[1] The phrase caught on with the general public, at a time when "self-realization" and "self-fulfillment" were becoming cultural aspirations among young people, who considered them far more important than social responsibility.

So, don't feel so bad - they hate ALL young people who want to have a life!

xx

tal

• kairos
    kairos

Tell us more about the lesson's content.

Coincidentally, my wife out of the blue, used the term "generation me" today. I later read this topic and asked her if she heard it in the lesson. She did.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Today's watchtower was so ridiculous

the agenda was so blatant, toe the line and do what your told just like everybody else or die alone

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It has been the theme of many religions since the beginning of monotheism. The priest class used peoples' fear of death to make them give up on this life and strive for the next one. Which meant don't look out for yourself but bring all your healthiest animals, extra harvest, cash crop, time and money to the temple. Who benefited? The priests. If you don't give you are selfish, deserving of death without reward. Boring old theme from self- serving religious leaders.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    As talesin said, it is nothing new. I was told by Watchtower that mine was the me generation. Watchtower controls through the use of guilt, the same old rehashed guilt decade after decade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit