Leaving the meeting early

by beautifulisfree 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Halfway, we used to just get up and GO! My husband stopped going six months or more before me, and I used to be there with five children who DID NOT want to be there and could start a punch up just like that. I would leave half way with my kids and one day just never went again. I remember my last meeting, sitting in the library with my kids and thinking 'what the hell am I doing here.' That was the last one! Whoopee!!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

When I was a kid, we NEVER left early. We got there early and stayed late. When I lived on my own, sometimes I'd leave early, but rarely. But the last few months, I almost never stayed the whole time. Eventually it dawned on me that I could enjoy that feeling of freedom that you get when you leave early even more, if I just didn't go. LOL!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings beautifulisfree,

:Why is it that when ever you would leave the meetings any earlier then when they were all done...did you feel like everyone was watching you or even sometimes guilty?

Absolutely! Why? Because they are. Certain "spiritual elitist" are pissed that you're audacious enough to do what probably many of them would love to do. How dare you leave before the meeting is over. Even though you've heard the same puke over and over.

Wouldn't you just love to flip them the bird, or fart loudly while walking down the aisle?

Dismembered

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Leaving at funny times during a regular church service just means you are leaving early for a reason(no guilt) or working in childrens church, awana, nursery, helping with refreshments or teaching sunday school. Something other than listening to the kool aid talk. JWdaughter

And no one asks why you left because they mind their own business. If I am absent (not very often because I love worshipping Jesus), some of my friends call to see if I need anything but they never ask why I laid out.

• KW13
    KW13
    I remember my last meeting, sitting in the library with my kids and thinking 'what the hell am I doing here.' That was the last one! Whoopee!!

thats really good! i wish i'd of left like that

• luna2
    luna2

I would occassionally leave early right from the get go. I'm not much of a meeting person. I wouldn't get up and walk out right in the middle (unless one of us was sick), but I'd often leave between the public talk and the Watchtower study or between the theocraptic misery school and whatever the second half was called...hey, it's fading. WhooHoo!

I remember toward the end, forcing myself to go to meetings. When they moved me, against my wishes, to another bookstudy, I went a few times and then dropped that altogether. Then I stopped going Thursday nights. I still would hit the odd Sunday meeting...and even stayed for a few Watchtower studies...but I often didn't even have the mags because you had to go collect your copy at the service counter and I couldn't be bothered. It just became a place I didn't want to be, with people I didn't want to associate with.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I wish! My dad would just about always leave early, I had to stay, and we had to find a ride home just about every sunday!

• Morocco
    Morocco

Did any of you ever hear an elder or some dub giving a talk make the idea that JWs are so happy after the meetings and that other people take notice? I heard someone mention one time that after the meetings people make comments on how happy of a people JWs are and that it was because of all the spiritual food we just ate. Or, could it be that everyone was happy that the two most hypnotic gut wrenching hours of their lives was finally over and they were free?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Morrocco,

I'm with you, you are sooooo right! haha

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Years ago we had an arrogant brother in our hall who thought he knew better than everybody.

At some point he was our book study conductor in somebody's house. I got tired of him going over time since I work full time and am tired at the end of the day. I felt it was very inconsiderate and presumptuous of him.

One night when my watch struck the hour mark he was still going on and on. I just got up and excused myself and walked out of the house - didn't care how it looked.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit