He causes to become - No more

by LtCmd.Lore 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time the society has used the phrase 'he causes to become' was in 2004, in a review. It's not even mentioned in the Bible teach book... which has an appendix about what gods name is and means, it says it means: I shall become whatsoever I chose. Have they changed their minds about the meaning of gods name? Why else would they leave it out of the main study book?

The next question is why? What made them change it from 'he causes to become' to 'I shall become whatsoever I please'?

• Legolas
    Legolas

I found this on the CD...

Jehovah

Meets the Challenge of Changing Conditions

God’s very name, Jehovah, means "He Causes to Become." This implies that Jehovah causes himself to become the Fulfiller of all his promises. When Moses asked God his name, Jehovah elaborated on its meaning in this way: "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be." (Exodus 3:14) Rotherham’s translation puts it this way: "I Will Become whatsoever I please."

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

i am

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

That was written in 2000 in an Awake. But if you asked any witness what gods name meant they would say "He Causes to Become" but they haven't used that at all since 2004 even in the main study book.

Was 'He Causes to Become' proven to be inacurate?

• heathen
    heathen

I thought he told moses to say " I shall prove to be " has sent me . I don't think anybody really has the name correct anyway and even the WTBTS realizes they are only attempting to translate because the tetragramaton does not contain the vowels so the prenounciation cannot be verified in the bible .

• elatwra
    elatwra

or they are trying really hard to come up with a translation different than the septuagint and typical bible translation "I am" so when Jesus said "I am" and people tried to stone him J-dubs do not make the connection with God's name.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

When I was a kid, we were told that it meant "I am". The name yhwh is derived from the verb hawah, which means "to become", so "causing to become" is probably the best translation. It just took them a hundred years to figure that one out (too)...

• elatwra
    elatwra

Hi hellrider. Let me make sure I understand you correctly.Did they use to teach that it meant "i am" at the kingdom hall? And then they changed the translation two times?

• Zodiakos
    Zodiakos

The actual meaning of the term is, "I've got such a headache!"

Zodiakos

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome zodiakas!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit