Wanting a new computer, and a new OS

by Nosferatu 31 Replies latest jw friends

• jwcol
    jwcol

Great topic!

I'm a Linux Administrator and there is no doubt, for servers, I would run Linux any day of the week. There is no comparison between the stability of Linux and Windows. We use SLES9 and the footprint of Linux systems in our data center continues to grow. I've noticed this year when sourcing software, most vendors have a Linux solution, so it makes it easy. The licensing alone saves a bundle when compared with access licenses to Microsoft OSes.

I've been running Linux at home for about 5 years. I wouldn't say I'm hard core, but I'm fairly knowledgeable. I've tried every distribution out there on all different kinds of hardware. I run Suse 10.1 on my work laptop because we run SLES9 on the servers. It's just easier to stay somewhat consistent. I can do pretty much everything on my laptop I need to. There are some limitations and it definitely isn't as easy to get things going like on a Windows system. I'm probably going to load SLES10 on my laptop just to be consistent, but I've been tempted to blow it away and try running Ubuntu for awhile. Suse really has problems with patch updates.

Simon, I think you are absolutely right. Linux was supposed to "take over the world" including the desktop years ago. The problem is caused by what makes Linux so great...free software. All these people maintain bits of software that are congealed into an operating system. Dependencies and patches can be a nightmare to solve for the casual user. In that way, the gap between Linux and Windows is widening. For the corporate desktop, switching to Linux is realistic. The first step at our company to make the change is switching 4000 desktops from Office to OpenOffice, which is in progress and is going well. It's going to save us a ton of money.

I almost bought an Intel Mac last year when I bought my laptop, but I backed out at the last second. There didn't seem to be a viable GPS program at the time and I needed my laptop for that.

• KW13
    KW13

I am currently doing a computer course, i run a Linux server of my own, my gaming server is Linux and on my dual boot i have Linux.

I've tried many distro's, Linux being for geeks only is a myth belonging to the past. For someone not wanting a MS operating system, not wanting to spend too much but definitely wanting an improvement over Windows 9X, there is no comparison to Linux, its reliable and consistent, secure and more importantly free if you use an Open-Source solution.

Personally, i've also used Server 2003, Windows XP e.t.c For my domains i've setup on Networks, i prefer Server 2003 and for my main desktop use i got XP - i even look forward to Vista.

From Windows XP's alphas/betas (Whistler) and Windows Vista's alpha's and betas (Longhorn) i have think i can safely say i've monitored progress of both. I've used from Amstrad Computers, Acorns with RISC OS, Windows 2.x, 3.xx, Windows 9x, Windows Neptune, lots of different OS.

The end of the day, it comes down to preference and what you need it for. People bashing the other option is silly, that is down to opinion and maybe the odd bad experience or lack of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit