Wanting a new computer, and a new OS

by Nosferatu 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm still running Win95, and it has been good to me for the past 8 years or so. Unfortunately, it seems that Win95 is officially becoming obsolete, especially with browsing the internet. Some websites require IE6 or newer, and Win95 can't run it.

So, I'm thinking about getting a new computer, or even a used one that isn't too far behind the times. However, with this comes a new OS. I'll have no choice but to run some version of Windows, so it'll probably be WinXP "Pro". I hate WinXP. In fact, I hate Microsoft.

Linux is looking more and more appealing. I'm thinking about running both on one machine. So, my question is, are there any Linux users here, and which bundles of Linux did you start out with?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Just wait a few months and get a Windows Vista computer when they come out.

You can also load Linux on it.

• KW13
    KW13
    I'm still running Win95, and it has been good to me for the past 8 years or so. Unfortunately, it seems that Win95 is officially becoming obsolete, especially with browsing the internet. Some websites require IE6 or newer, and Win95 can't run it.

So, I'm thinking about getting a new computer, or even a used one that isn't too far behind the times. However, with this comes a new OS. I'll have no choice but to run some version of Windows, so it'll probably be WinXP "Pro". I hate WinXP. In fact, I hate Microsoft.

Linux is looking more and more appealing. I'm thinking about running both on one machine. So, my question is, are there any Linux users here, and which bundles of Linux did you start out with?

Right, a lot of Linux flavours are FREE! (WHOO)

I recommend an AMD Processor, 64bit. At least a 1GB of ram and as big a Hard drive as ya need (80GB at least).

My advice is, get a machine with two Hard Drives, dual boot XP with Linux and then you get no compatibility issues on Windows and the best of Linux (Windows Vista is coming early next year too, so keep options open, so you can upgrade).

Ubuntu and Fedora are good Linux Flavors, i will screenshot my Ubuntu install if ya want

My machine spec is the following...

AMD 64bit Venice Core 3200+

1GB Ram

2 80GB HDD's

DVD Writer/CD Writer Combo

Floppy Drive

-----

Windows XP Professional dual booted with Ubuntu (64bit edition)

• KW13
    KW13

This one below, is my Linux Install. Click the Thumbnail to get the bigger picture. This particular Linux flavor (flavour for us brits) is called Ubuntu. Its free to run, it gets free updates e.t.c, comes with Firefox Web Browser, an FTP Client, Instant Messenger, Media Player(s), Games, Word Processor, Slideshow app, Spreadsheet App and more!

Only thing is, with the Browser being Firefox you don't get the smilies in JWD when your editing/making a post. Mainsteam Applications won't work with it but since you've been running Windows 95 i dont think you'll have issues running Linux and your in a better position for doing so.

The theme i am using, isn't the default one - i would provide you with all the little bits VIA the internet, on my webserver if you really wanted to go for it. It can play MP3's and stuff, although i took a few mins to set that up.

alt

Remember - Windows XP doesn't have to be all Blue and stuff, you can use tools/programs to make it better! You can also make it look a lot like earlier versions of Windows, by switching to the Classic Startmenu and Theme.

Windows XP Pro (don't try Home its lame) is a good Operating System once you've set it up exactly how you like it. I found i hated XP at first, till i got it myself and now i refuse to install anything less.

I have an extensive collection of Wallpapers for XP that i've got from Windows Vista Betas and things, so your desktop doesn't need to look dull. Also i know certain features are nothing short of annoying, so as you go along i can show you what you can turn off if and when you need that.

Automatic Updates are a must for Windows XP - without those installed your OS isnt secure and safe. Also you need an Anti-Virus and Firewall setup. Internet Explorer 7.0 is in development, that also will be a needed update to keep your OS secure. Install the Firefox Browser since that sports tabbed browsing (browser windows open within the web browser, not on your taskbar).

• luna2
    luna2

Ah, KW, you're such a cute little techno geek.

Did you understand any of that, Nos? Eh, you prolly did. I'm the only one that gets confused any more with this stuff.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

KW13, thank you very much! I'm just loving the look of a new OS.

Only thing is, with the Browser being Firefox you don't get the smilies in JWD when your editing/making a post.

Waah. I normally don't bother with the smiley icons anyway. I'm an old school BBSer :)

I tried installing Firefox a while ago on my PC. It reminded me a lot of Netscape which I like. Although Firefox worked on my PC, it was waaaay too slow.

Remember - Windows XP doesn't have to be all Blue and stuff, you can use tools/programs to make it better! You can also make it look a lot like earlier versions of Windows, by switching to the Classic Startmenu and Theme.

I'm using XP at work, and I've done all that. I don't like XP because of performance issues and the control it has over my PC, not because it's ugly. But I agree that it's ugly. I have a *cough*pirate*cough* copy at home that my wife is using on her computer.

Automatic Updates are a must for Windows XP - without those installed your OS isnt secure and safe.

I wasn't planning on using XP primarily for being on the net. That's reserved for Linux. I want XP purely for running Windows software that I can't run in Linux, such as my audio recording software. Also, I have a router at home with the firewall turned on.

Just wait a few months and get a Windows Vista computer when they come out.

No thanks, I'll pass. Hell will freeze over before I get excited about a new release from Microsoft.

• ackack
    ackack

Two good options (I think) is Ubuntu Linux and Mac OSX.

Ubuntu linux is a free linux distro thats quite easy to use, easy to update, easy to install software on, and easy to install. I totally recommend it.

OOTH, I'm writing this on an iMac, which simply put, is an incredibly good bargin. Its a nice compact computer, running a very nice OS. If you want simplicity, and want to do lots of cosummer-y stuff, like photography, music etc, Mac OSX can't really be beat. And the interface is quite good.

ackack

• ackack
    ackack

Also, any new mac can dual boot windows.

ackack

• KW13
    KW13
    KW13, thank you very much! I'm just loving the look of a new OS.

well, whenever ya upgrade to a new machine let me know and i'll sort ya out with everything ya need (Linux and such) firefox with linux or on windows (with a faster pc) will run great

• AlanF
    AlanF

A Linux machine is great, but might not have all the software you're used to.

A Mac of some sort may be the best bet, especially the new Imac that runs the Intel processors. They have virtually no problems -- a far cry from the crap that Microsoft puts out -- and, because the OS is built on top of a Unix-like system, you have full access to Unix and Linux programs. And you can run Microsoft-compatible progams.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit