First encounter with a Scientologist

by glitter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• glitter
    glitter

I was on a mad-dash daytrip to Edinburgh today, and in the morning we were up on the Royal Mile. Being the Fringe we quickly attracted about eight trees' worth of advertising.

Most of the people flyering were dressed in costumes or in t-shirts advertising the shows, but some were in ordinary clothes. I didn't think it too odd when a young blonde woman dressed smart-casual handed me a flyer with a pic of Einstein on it, *but* we'd only gone a foot away when "L. Ron Hubbard" leapt out at me in the text! I shoved it back into her hands with a really stern "I don't want this." followed by a "NO!" staring her dead in her glazed swivelly eyes, and in the same tone of voice I'd use to tell a bad dog off! :D

I just found it incredibly rude that they'd be targetting tourists that way by trickery. OK, the other people wanted me to consider spending a few quid on their shows, but they didn't want to brainwash, bankrupt, blackmail and kill me!

Of course as soon as I was away I had one of those "staircase moment" things (there's a word... in German?) and wished I'd said something more, but they probably thought I was rammed full of Thetans and Engrams as it was!

Anyone here actually spoken to a Scientologist?

(Then we went to the Ron Mueck exhibition which was beyond awesome.)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, over twenty years ago I knew a Scientologist. One of my ex-husband's friends. The man was unprepossessing, living in his parent's garage as he was. I've read some of L. Ron Hubbard's books through him. Now THAT cult is viciously dangerous to it's opponents.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Anyone here actually spoken to a Scientologist?

Yes... they're totally wacky. I live in L.A., years ago I was walking down Hollywood Blvd., when they were still a small, anonymous group and a couple of them approached me out in front of the building they were occupying. They wanted me to come inside and take some "free" tests to see how symbionic I was with the universe.....eh, "No thanks" was my reply. Fast forward 35 years, they still have the building on Hollywood Blvd., still "bothering" tourists (and others), but now they own a lot of property and buildings in and around Hollywood....they're loaded. Sometimes the head of their organization will appear on a late night radio talk show trying to convince everyone how they ARE a religion and how "normal" they are..... the funny thing is, people will call in and dispell that notion when they tell about their own experiences on how they were taken for a ride, financially and otherwise, by the organization.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I just found it incredibly rude that they'd be targetting tourists that way by trickery.

Its not just tourists they target - more worringly I listened to a documentary a few weeks ago where a reporter joined undercover and recorded m,eetings where they were told to target victims of natural disasters - in particular they were there targetting the locals after the Tsunami on Boxing Day 2004. They were offering counselling for the bereaved and trying to separate grieving people from the trained psychiatrists there to help.

(hope you enjoyed good old Ed just the same - couldnt make it up there this year!)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sneaky, they are. My day care operator was receiving a monthly brochure from them, giving child-rearing tips. There was very little in the brochure to indicate that it was produced by the Church of Scientology. I saw L. Ron Hubbard's name, and alerted the operator. She was shocked.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

I have neighbors who are scientologists and they are fine fine folk..the rabid ones dont really seem all that much different than members of any other cult,dubs included.of course their might be exceptions to what ive seen and all,but ive been to parties w.flocks of em and they seem like pretty ok folks to me.they do try to get you to go to their services,and all.but again,so do all of the other controlled chaos type groups...

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The Scientologists have also infiltrated the Red Cross. Post Katrina, speaker/evangelist James Dobson said on his radio show that the scientologists were in the various stadiums preaching their talk and had infiltrated high in the Red Cross. James Dobson said that the Salvation Army had not been infiltrated. So, I gave more money to the Salvation Army. The Scientologists also target the upper classes- namely doctors and dentists. These people can afford their E-meter screenings. Scientologists are RUTHLESS when it comes to ex-members. They make the JWs look passive. An interesting read is the court case
    Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology
    . There, an ex-follower got $$$$ (millions) for intentional infliction of emotional distress after being threatened & hurt economically, psychologically, and politically. Economically, the church retroactively increased Mr. Wollersheim’s "discounted" tuition to full price. Some ex-members end up owing more than $100,000! The practice of retroactively changing the member’s account receivable to full price was called “Freeloader debt” and was a devised by L. Ron Hubbard as punishment against the leaving member. Before leaving, Mr. Wollersheimwas told to divorce his wife (who was not a Scientologist) because she was weighing him down (sound familiar?). Mr. Wollersheim ran a photography business, and most of his customers were Scientologists. The church told the followers to not do business with him further (sound familiar?) or even pay outstanding bills. Wollersheim went bankrupt. Also before leaving, Mr. Wollersheim was “badgered” by other “elders” to attend classes on a boat. But, this slave ship required nineteen hour days and sleeping 30 people stacked nine high in a poorly ventilated ship’s hull. Part of the brainwashing, I suppose.... So, just like the Witnesses, they may look "good and wholesome" on the outside....but talk to an ex-member to find out the real deal. Skeeter

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Skeeter, James Dobson says a lot of things. I'm sure he's just pissed because he has competition.

Anyway, as much as I don't like the religion/cult Scientology, I have met some Scientologists including some a little high up there. Overall, the followers are just normal people doing their thing. I've never felt pressure to go to one of their meetings nor would I go to one. The people on the street are the hardcore ones kind of like the super pioneers of the JWs. They really feel they have the answers and want to share it with people.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There aren't that many centres for scientology in the UK anyway, but I believe there is one in edinburgh. I was in Edinburgh earlier this year, and I seem to rmember we walked past something called the Hubbard Academy of Personal Independence, I can't remember where it was, but Trev said it would be to do with scientology. He told me there's one in Manchester as well, so maybe we'll meet a few of them at the Apostacurry.

I've no personal experience of Scientologists, but I know Trev has encountered them in his travels. He isn't here to ask at the moment, but he didn't seem to impressed with them, just another potentially - dangerous cult.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

when I first lived here in florida, between 1986-89, I drove taxi in tampa bay and ferried not a few scientologists over to the HQ in clearwater.... all of the ones I met were extremely nice and conversational people... seekers being lead down the royal path to plunder... as JWs had done for me and many here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit