Visit the elderly Like they really care

by eyes opened 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eyes opened
    eyes opened

I remmber when I was a witness the cong asked people to go visit sister sick, and we would go when I told them my worldly Gramma was sick, The reaction was, You must take care of Jehovah people, what about my gramma isn't that a christian thing to do. This hurt me. Just because my little italian gramma wasn't a witness doesn't mean you stop loving a person. They always push burdens on everyone.

Eyes opened

• Synergy
    Synergy

That's painful. I have nightmares to this day about the meanness and illtreatment I suffered there. You are among friends and family now for real. God bless your grandma.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

If they could count their time, everybody would be visiting the elderly, especially in the winter months here. Otherwise, the "org" keeps everyone too busy with everything else they require of you to visit the elderly.

BB

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The elderly ones who had the best treats in the fridge also got the most visits. It's nice to fill your stomach with treats while you're counting your timeā„¢.

W

• eyes opened
    eyes opened

You are all right they don't really care you so busy you never have time, so much for brotherly love. I love all your posts. They are Great!!!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Growing up, we regularly visited the elderly in the cong. We also regularly worked nursing homes. My mother had a soft spot for older people and we would sit listening to their stories for awhile, even if they didn't want any literature.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My elderly parents lived one-half mile from the KH, there were several pioneers in the congregations who regularly drove past the house, and my parents almost never got a visit. My father was an elder, taking care of my mother who was suffering from Alzheimers. She couldn't be left alone Dad made most of the meetings only because I stayed with her. I guess they thought that all that was necessary was to express their sympathy while he was at the KH. After an agonizing seven years, mother finally died. Two pioneer sisters who had never stopped to visit, dropped in the day after her death expressing their condolences and what a wonderful person she was. They hadn't seen her for years!

Her care took so much of my time I had to slow down on meeting attendance. I finally quit when I realized the congregation didn't care a hoot about my parents. I couldn't believe it that my father had done so much for the congregation and now they were ignoring him, but he concluded it was only a local problem. But in talking with friends in other congregations I realized this was commonplace.

Now for the rest of the story. After mother died, my father discovered that I wasn't attending meetings and was inactive, so he disinherited me. I am now an outsider. When he went into a nursing home, he turned his estate over to my witness daughter and her newly acquired husband. I hope my father lives a long time and uses up every penny he ever had. The only good thing I have to say about him is that he took good care of my mother, and that's the only reason I go to see him.

Bonnie

• juni
    juni

You certainly have the right attitude Bonnie. It's hard though to bite your tongue. This religion has caused so many families a lot of heartaches.

Juni

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Bonnie, I know where you are coming from.

When my father was ill, my mother relied on me and my husband on almost a daily basis. I worked full time, worked in the eveings at their cleaning job, visited my father in the hospital every afternoon (took work from the office and did it while dad was napping) because my mom didn't want him to be alone. Something had to give and it was meetings. The elders said I should put the meetings first, my father second. I didn't listen.

But even after all that I did, after my father died, my mother said I should have done more, and I shouldn't have stopped going to the meetings!!! WTF??? What was I supposed to do when she called on meeting nights and said, come over right away, it's an emergency? Maybe I should have told her what the elders said, and what a hard time they gave us, but that's just not me.

It seems like we're damned if we do, damned if we don't!

BB

• eyes opened
    eyes opened

These stories are so sad, I am glad I picked that topic because we all have the same impression, they really don't care about anyone Bonnie I am so sorry for you, So sad, the way they destroy people and their lives, and make the meetings when people are on their death bed. It really is sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit