What have you "fixed" recently?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I fixed a coin slide on a coin operated washing machine. That put my confidence level way through the roof.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Actually,I`ve been trying to fix the dog for a week.Everytime he see`s me with a knife,he hides under the porch..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    I want to fix something now
    u cant...you're a woman...its not allowed

wanna bet? I hate to pay someone else to "fix" something I can do myself. I have taught myself to fix vacuum cleaners, radios, lamps, wheelchairs and scooters, and so many others things I can't even remember. My most recent "repair" - replaced the CD drive in the computer with a DVD burner so now I have both CD and DVD burners

• hambeak
    hambeak

I fixed a way to survive this Dallas heat. Installing misters in our auto repair shop in front of big fans cools it down 20 degrees or more.

Hsambeak

• Gregor
    Gregor

Lady Lee, I'm impressed!

I have rewired a lamp without unplugging it! my wife keeps asking me if my life insurance is paid up.

Ham. The mister with the fans is very smart.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Most things I fix with a screwdriver, the kind with orange juice.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My garage roof. I had a leaking skylight in it that had ruined one rafter and a 4/0 x 8/0 sheet of plywood. It's been leaking since I bought the house but I've kept procrastinating taking care of it. I've finally decided that I'd had enough. $60.00 worth of materials and about five to six hours on a Saturday afternoon and my first roofing project is complete. Now I've got a premium parking spot for my motorcycle where a bucket used to be.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gregor

I have rewired a lamp without unplugging it! my wife keeps asking me if my life insurance is paid up.

I don't blame her.

I have taken down old celiing fixtures and replaced them with ceiling fans without turning off the power. Considering that I am a static magnet most of the time I'm shocked I haven't been shocked. For some very peculiar reason I have never lived with a man who was a Mr. Fix-it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

In the early 1980s I had one of the very first Macintosh cube computers. It only had 64K (65536 bytes) of total RAM memory. I decided that it needed more. I bought the chips which were eight times the capacity so as to make it 512K (524288 bytes).

The problem was that the original Mac had everything soldered right down onto the main circuit board. No sockets whatsoever. Even the 64-pin MC68000 microprocessor was soldered down directly to the PC board.

The solution was to take an XActo razor saw and cut the leads on the original chips and remove them. Then you could use a soldering iron and a teflon suction cup to pull out each stub and clean the holes. Then, the new chips could be plugged in and re-soldered.

Later, the guys at my first real electronic engineering job showed me a tool which screwed into a soldering iron and could be used to simultaneously heat all the solder lands on an IC chip and pull it out all at once.

They did admire my ingenuity, while laughing out loud at the Oklahoma City crudity of it all...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

James

Where there is a will there is always a way.

Ingenuity is a remarkable thing. But I think once I saw everything soldered together I would have junked it and gone over to a PC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit