Total Income
    2.68%
    Total Funds£45.5m
    Total Investments£1.96m
    Explanation of terms
    Address:I.B.S.A. House
    The Ridgeway
    London
    NW7 1RNTel:020 8906 2211CC registration:216647.Founded:1914.Constitution:Company.Coy reg no:ENG:136726.Brief description of aims:To provide facilities for the printing and distribution of bibles and bible based literature and to promote Christian religion by the holding of conventions for Christian education
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

okaaaay... so everyone here seems to be pointing to London as the focal point for this discussion.

Then... that means that this book was published in London (or somewhere in the UK) and shipped here for distribution?

Or - perhaps the previous owner had come from the UK (or Spain - according to Blondie) and then the book got into the used-books chain.

Ummm... I might be gullable, but I'm in South Texas where there are a LOT of Spanish-speaking JWs and Congregations. Plus, if you re-re-read the original posting, you may have noticed that I mentioned that the first corporation was the WTBTS - in New York (or Pennsylvania - I don't recall - they are synonymous as far as I am concerned).

NOT Canada - or the UK (or London) - or Spain or Timbuktoo.

I would have noticed any 'foreign' publishing house location - as I _did_ with the IBSA - hence my original comments.

Perhaps I am just thick. I am still not understanding the comments made by those who are trying to help me with their 'googling' and other resources.

Thanks anyway, *walks away scratching head*

Jim TX

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Jim,

I never heard of the IBSA being used in the U.S. nor did I ever see it on their publications. I think they only use this name on publications in other countries. Lilly

** Yes, the Bible students are alive and well in the U.S. and they are much more humble than the JW's but I have had bad experiences with them also. You MUST accept that Rusell was the Faithful Servant and 90% of his teachings including the ones about the pyramid of Giza backing up the date 1914, or they will cut you off as apostate. They also take the 144,000 to be a literal number and believe in some other really strange things from Russell. And they mostly study the books Russell wrote called "Studies in the Scriptures" NOT the bible alone. If they do read the bible - they read it through frosted glasses (frosted by Russell's views). But -they are nice people.

• blondie
    blondie

It has nothing to do with the language but with corporations and separate countries.

Thus Spanish language editions of the same WTS book could be printed in the US, Mexico, and Spain (I'm not sure they have a branch printery) with different corporations listed and distributed only in the country it is printed in.

Blondie

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    It has nothing to do with the language but with corporations and separate countries.

Thus Spanish language editions of the same WTS book could be printed in the US, Mexico, and Spain (I'm not sure they have a branch printery) with different corporations listed and distributed only in the country it is printed in.

Blondie

Exactly. Which... in my own convoluted way... I was trying to make as a point!

So - re-re-re-read my original post.

Why does the 'Society' (aka WTBTS), acknowledge the IBSA as a publisher - if it was published in New York? They never did this (that I recall) to the English versions of the same books.

Perhaps I am nudging at the point that... perhaps the 'Spanish' JWs (referring only to those here in the States - and perhaps Mexico), better know the WTBTS as the IBSA.

But this still leaves me wondering why they would associate themselves (yes, I guess they _still_ own the 'copyright') with the IBSA - which seems to be a renegade, offshoot group of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. When I toured the printing facilities in Walkill, NY, I was under the impression that they printed many many different language publications - right there in Walkill. I know that this was back in the 70's, and that things change... but if I also recall correctly, they (the WTBTS in New York) were purchasing new printing machinery - so they must still be printing something - other than the English publications, there.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has delegated many foreign language printing to other printeries since the 1970's. I'm sure they are thinking that if persecution comes in one country that printing can continue in another.

If JWs read their publications in the WTS, the IBSA would not be a complete surprise.

w98 5/15 p. 13 Christian Faith Will Be Tested ***

[Picture

on page 13]

A letter from C. T. Russell with introductory text for a recording in which he said: "‘The Photo-Drama of Creation’ is presented by the IBSA—the International Bible Students Association. Its aim is public instruction along religio-scientific lines, and in defense of the Bible"

jv p. 374 World Headquarters and Principal Offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses—in Pictures ***

[Pictures

on page 374]

BRITAIN

The activity of over 125,000 of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Britain is supervised from this branch office. Witnesses from Britain have also taken up assignments to spread the Kingdom message in other European countries as well as in Africa, South America, Australia, the Orient, and islands of the sea.

IBSA House

Watch Tower House

Bible literature is printed here in English, Maltese, Gujarati, and Swahili

The Service Department cares for more than 1,300 congregations in Britain

Literature supplies are sent to all parts of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and Malta, as well as to places in Africa and the Caribbean

yb00 p. 71 Britain ***

On June 30, 1914, a new legal servant for Jehovah’s organization in Britain—the International Bible Students Association—was incorporated in London. At that time the Britain branch cared for the Kingdom work throughout the British Isles, including Ireland. Since 1966, however, the whole of Ireland has been supervised by a separate branch located first in Dublin and now to the south of it.

The WTS has used different names to do business in countries where the name Jehovah's witnesses and Watchtower would create a negative response.

Blondie

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Jim,
    The London watchtower branch annuall financial report says this:

The Society has a consistent income base through Gift Aid . In addition, the primary activity is the manufacture and distribution of Bible based religious literature on behalf of International Bible Students Association, the cost of which is passed on .

The Society works closely with International Bible Students Association, which permits Watch Tower Society to use its facilities for the Society's charitable activities and provides accommodation for volunteers. International Bible Students Association makes a monthly service and maintenance charge to the Society for the facilities it uses and for providing accommodation for volunteers connected with the Society's activities. The Society passes to International Bible Students Association the cost incurred in printing and distributing the Bible-based religious literature manufactured and delivered to destinations on its behalf and all other overhead costs.
    In 2005, the charity made interest-free loans to International Bible Students Association with whom it works closely, in the sum of £3,500,000. This was for the purpose of enabling International Bible Students Association to reduce their indebtedness to their bankers, thereby saving financial costs to the Association. The loan was raised by International Bible Students Association initially to purchase property which is now used by Watch Tower Society .
    A major activity of the charity continues to be the printing and distribution of Bibles and Bible study aids, primarily for International Bible Students Association. The literature is distributed free of charge by IBSA to congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses and then to the public in general . The Society administers the work of Jehovah's Witnesses in Britain and notes that in the year under review, almost 18,000,000 hours were spent by Jehovah's Witnesses in Britain working in their communities helping people morally and spiritually . The Bible study aids printed by the charity offers practical advice on law-abiding citizenship, targeted workable family values for modern living and advises Christian tolerance in a multi-cultural society. Information on such values has a wide appeal as can be seen for the request for more Bibles and Bible study aids by both Jehovah's Witnesses and members of the public.
    During the year, a total of 232,000,000 items were printed on the charity's two rotary presses. The main bulk of these items were the Watchtower and Awake journals which had a total printing of approximately 145,000,000. During the year, we increased the number of languages in which the Watchtower and Awake magazines were printed to twenty-eight. The additional languages are for various countries in Africa.
    In October 2005, the charity was able to take occupation of a new facility [purchased and renovated by International Bible Students Association] . This facility houses the shipping and warehousing departments of the charity and has released much needed space in IBSA House for printing and finishing of magazines and brochures. The new MAN Roland Rotary Press has lived up to expectations and along with the computer controlled finishing and distribution lines, have enabled the charity to meet its commitments with regard to the introduction of new languages and increasing orders for the printed publications.
    All incoming resources are included in the Statement of Financial Activities (SOFA) when the charity is legally entitled to the income and the amount can be quantified with reasonable accuracy. No income is deferred. Donations are from the public, congregations and other connected charities. Income from literature arise from literature sold to International Bible Students Association (IBSA), a connected charity on a cost basis in line with the charity's objects. Entitlement to legacies is the earlier of the charity being notified of an impending distribution or the legacy being received.
    The trustees confirm that they have not been involved with any transactions of the charity . The Society has close connections with International Bible Students Association which is a registered charity and has similar objects. This charity has the same registered office as that of the Society.

• RR
    RR

ACtually, if one to pick up a latest book, you'll notice that the IBSA is no longer listed. It is just a footnote in historical context.

The IBSA was dissolved about ten years ago or so. Don't remember the exact date. While there is still an IBSA building in London, that is because it is etched in stone, and I guess the Society hasn't bothered to sand it down and place Watch Tower name on it!

I remember that Canada was the last country to still publish under the name, and there was a big "party" at the Canadian bethel, when the name was dissolved and the Watchtower BIble and Tract Society of Canada was formed. They released a nice photo album with old pictures and a history.

RR

• Kaput
    Kaput

Have they (Jehovah's Witnesses, Dawnists, Associated Bible Students, Laymen's Home Missionary Movement) all really "gone their own ways"?

Check this out: http://web.archive.org/web/20020111203908/http://pages.globetrotter.net/mleblank/occulte/xoomjcdsindex.htm

Then click on: "1999 Convention"

See where that takes you. Anyone have any feedback on this?

• RR
    RR

Kaput, Not sure how that happened. This apparently is an old website that was on xoom.com, Xoom.com was a free web hosting like yahoo. and geocities. Apparently the main page of the site was downloaded on this web.archives.com site, but the links were chnaged and redirected to the Watchtower Society.

The official website for the Jersey City Bible Students is at www.millennialmorning.org

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit