God Changed his mind?

by Matt_fs 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Matt_fs
    Matt_fs

So I was at my really good friends place, he is a JW, im not.

I was trying to ask him if JW's are prophets of God. He came back and asked me what im trying to get at etc etc. Anyways, finally after all his nonsence of trying to get around it, I told him that JW's are false prophets and how God does not change his mind. He brought up the fact that Jonah made a false prophecy and God changed his mind when he decided to not destroy Ninevah, and this is why Jonah was mad. So he was using this excuse to show how the JW's are not false prophets!

Unreal eh

Matt

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

God didn't change his mind. He told the Ninevites that if they didn't repent he would destroy them... Well, they repented, so he didn't.. That's not changing your mind, that's keeping your promise.

• heathen
    heathen

Yep that's pretty lame alright. I think what happened there was that ninevah did repent so God held his wrath back .It's pretty stupid that you friend would say that to explain the WTBTS false predictions , God didn't change his mind , the WTBTS just was not getting the message , "no one knows the day or hour" for the end . Right there in the bible...

• Arthur
    Arthur
    the WTBTS just was not getting the message , "no one knows the day or hour" for the end . Right there in the bible...

Yes, this is a good point. It is in the book of Matthew, as plain as day. Jesus said that it would come as a "thief in the night". Yet, Russell went ahead and predicted 1914 anyway. J.F. Rutheford took it upon himself to predict the years 1918, 1925, and when WWII broke out, that it would arrive within a couple of years. (I won't even go into 1975) So, if one used the rediculous logic that your friend is trying to use, one would have to conclude that these really were true prophicies, and that Jehovah God changed his mind, and decided not to bring the big A on these four seperate occasions because of various turning points in world events.

Either a very fickle God, or some very stupid men. I will vote for the latter.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi matt, and welcome to the forum.

Your friend can't help his reasoning. It's not his reasoning anyway, he's been told what to believe and what to say by a few old men in Brooklyn. I've heard that reasoning, and used it, many times. You just can't see how false it is until you leave the org.

Either a very fickle God, or some very stupid men. I will vote for the latter
    Well said Arthur, I vote for the latter as well
  • heathen
    heathen

I vote for the latter meself . (;>p) I'll throw a third option in -- your friend pulled it right out his ass , amazingly right in front of you ....LOL just like the magician with his rabbit ..... there it is bigger than life .... These people are very prone to their own personal opinion becoming a part of their faith ... I've heard alot of very stupid things in my day .

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

hmm and that case when moses did change gods mind?

• Warlock
    Warlock

"God doesn't change his mind about men. Men change their minds about God." That's Warlock 1:3.

Warlock( a Profit, Sear, and formerly Montgomery's Ward)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    He told the Ninevites that if they didn't repent he would destroy them

What Bible are you reading from?

Yhwh changes his mind (or "repents") a number of times in the OT... but perhaps he is not really "God" yet.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Discussing religion with a Jehovah's Witness is like trying to reason with a drunk, like being in a pissing contest with a skunk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit