Did you ever hear this? J Dubs go out on a boat because end of the world?

by jrjr4189 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

My friend whos faded and I were talking and he said an uncle of his whos a witness told him a story about a bunch of witnesses getting on a boat a long time ago because they believed armegeddon was coming, and when it didn't come they came back ashore. Does anybody here know anything about this?????

• morty
    morty

nope, have not head of that one...Hope they at least got a good suntan before they returned to shore....

BTW, did your uncle mention what they took with them??

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

My friend said he was talking to him about beth sarim and he said, "OH yeah the witnesses back then used to do a lot of crazy stuff including", and then he said the boat thing. I'm just wondering if its true.

• tan
    tan

Where's the trust in Jehovah??? Did they honestly think being out in a boat would save them?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, I don't know about the boat idea, but -

A lot of really crazy stuff was talked up prior to 1975 about how to survive big A. There was some thought that we should save water and canned goods (kind of a theocratic civil defense effort) because grocercy stores might get raided. I think this actually got said at assembly or at least during CO visits. More extreme: A few actually had hideaway campsites {which actually turned out to be weekend recreation places}, and more than a few that I knew had a shotgun and a ready supply of 00 Buck. One private airplane owner I knew claimed his Cessna was for quick getaway in case the interstates got blocked. I always wondered, getaway to where? Like, Mexico??? But, anyway -

The idea was that in the few days prior to God's wrath, the worldly would figure out that the JWs had been right, that they were screwed over, and they would come at the JWs for some quick payback...we might have to do the wilderness survival for a short time until Jehovah set it all right.

This much of it really happened - not to all of them, of course, but to a sizeable number.

James

• Highlander
    Highlander

To this day, my grandpa has a 'secret' room in his home where he stores old army food rations and supplies so that he can survive the upcoming world genocide that j-dubs

dream about. Until recently, he even had underground fuel tanks that were full of gasoline so that he could still drive his car over all the dead bodies lying in the streets.

Funny thing is I mentioned to a witness about my grandpa and how strange it was for him to have an underground fuel tank(btw, an underground fuel tank is illegal in a large city without

proper permits) and this witness proceeded to tell me that he also has an underground emergency fuel tank and a secret room with supplies. I couldn't help but think that these people

are nuts!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, to put it in perspective, I knew some pretty good computer programmers who took Y2K just this seriously. There had to be a big expensive allnight watch at many companies to handle panic calls...

and of course the engineers just had a big pizza party while nothing significant ever happened.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Is this an

ARK

story??????????

• Quandry
    Quandry

James,

I know now how really entrenched in JW thoughtspeak I was in 1975, but these things are like another bolt of shock for me! People really got guns to defend their stuff? I always thought that Jehovah would protect the ones he wanted to live and that it showed a lack of faith to stockpile anything at all. Did the elders know that these people were doing this? The Society wrote about survivalists and they were always associated with worldly people who were faithless.

I can't get used to hearing more, more and yet more disturbing things!! Where was I all these years! AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm pretty sure that's the plot outline from "Ship of Fools".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit