Sheep vs. Goats

by riverofdeceit 14 Replies latest jw friends

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Anyone else while being a JW find it awful to be referred to as "sheep"? I've always thought being called sheep was negative, as in - They are all a bunch of sheep! I guess I was born stubborn goat, thank the gods!

That, and also being called a "slave". While being called a slave was not always good it was sometimes used as a good thing.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was reminded of exactly that idea when, as a Witness, I saw a Farside cartoon of a flock of sheep. In the middle of the flock is one sheep standing up, with front paw raised in the air, saying: "We don't have to be sheep!"

When I left the JWs, I thought it appropriate that Christians refer to themselves as sheep: A stupid, dependent animal that is easily led to the slaughter.

S4

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I occurred to me at a time when I still thought I must spriritually sick... "Sheep get regularly fleeced"

• IW
    IW

If taken as Jesus meant the word "sheep" to be taken I find no objection with that word or the word "slave."

Jesus was the shepherd of the sheep. It was an analogy.

IW

• mrsjones5
  • Twitch
    Twitch

I never liked the analogy.

Just couldn't be a follower. Just couln't stop questioning And take ur goat label and shove it ;-)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I always thought goats got a bad press in the bible. They are great little fellas, loads of personaility, always smiling, dead funny.

If goats could talk I bet they'd be as funny as hell. If sheep could talk they'd be middle class middle aged middle of the road conservatives - yawn.

Gimme a goat any day. I love em.

Bet they taste nice too.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    If taken as Jesus meant the word "sheep" to be taken I find no objection with that word or the word "slave."

Jesus was the shepherd of the sheep. It was an analogy.

I believe I've heard it was said by slave owners from the south that their slaves were better taken care of as slaves than they would be as free men, and am sure that some of the slaves actually believed that to be the case.

I would no more be a slave (sheep/lemming) to Jesus than I would be to the Watchtower.

--------------------------------riverofdeceit of the "goat class"

• garybuss
    garybuss

My favorite sheep photo

• Arthur
    Arthur

I hated the concept of us looking at ourselves as "slaves" for God. Does the all-powerful, all-knowing power of the universe have an insecure need to have a bunch of wooden soldiers marching in lock-step; working themselves to exhaustion in order to make him feel good? I think not.

The almighty God of the universe has no need to have a bunch of exhausted slaves. However, an insecure, neurotic, and megalomaniac person does. The "God" that JWs worship is a projection of the sick subconscious mind of the Judaizers that invented Him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit