My JW Neighbours

by Joe Grundy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I've posted about this before, and my earlier posts will clarify this.

I've explained to my neighbours why I (as an atheist) am bad association for my my JW neighbours. I've explained that to them as well, and on my third and last visit to a KH with them (for memorial service?) I wore my FBI polo shirt and afterwards went outside for a cigarette.

Pregnant JW mum and the kids (6 and 3) have just left to visit her (JW) family in Sweden. Imagine my surprise when Dad (left behind, can't go for work reasons) called at my apartment with an assortment of WTs and Awakes. What we actually talked about was that he was fed up with his sh*t job (his words). He was out 'in service' (I know 'cos I commented on his clothes - a dress shirt and long trousers, when here right now most of us (including him) wear T shirt and shorts) and I was his last call.

He will be lonely for the next 2 weeks or so. I have a fairly good circuit of bars and restaurants (I live a bit of a hedonistic lifestyle). He is not theologically opposed to a beer, a meal out, etc.

Should I take the opportunity to reinforce that all of us worldly bad association people are not from the devil? I am conscious that if he has a couple of good weeks his wife (who is a multi-generation JW) may get a little cheesed off when she gets home.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Should I take the opportunity to reinforce that all of us worldly bad association people are not from the devil? I am conscious that if he has a couple of good weeks his wife (who is a multi-generation JW) may get a little cheesed off when she gets home.

Absolutely! The JWs have attempted to show you their lifestyle, so what's good for one is good for another.

And just because the man's wife is a dyed-in-the-wool JW doesn't mean she can't be persuaded by reason, via her husband. You never know, you could be the catalyst that starts them thinking for themselves!

All the best with your plans - whatever you decide.

Ian

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Thanks, Ian!

This is a very current question, 'cos in half an hour Liverpool -v-v Chelsea is on!

I will call and ask my friend to come out, watch the game and have a couple of beers.

Cheers!

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Ensure that he brings extra copies of some Dub mags and maybe even some Book Study books in case you're busted. He can always say he was trying to help you see the light, though he thought it best that you both be just hammered so that he could weaken your inhibitions and you would talk more freely about Jehobee.

Is there any room at the bar for another Atheist? I like beer... a lot.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Definitely ask him. If hes standing at your door at ALL...knowing what he already knows about you and feels comfortable enough to swear in front of you, the guy needs a break from his life and I'd say you are probably his only hope if he is otherwise surrounded by JWs. As for beer...since WHEN have the JWs had an aversion to alcohol? LOL! None that I know ever did!

He'll thank ya for it.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Big YES vote from me! Any step forward is a step toward freedom....sammieswife.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I say go for it. It sounds like he is reaching out for some help!! Show him a good time, and that non JW's are not the evil people they like to think they are.

BB

• KW13
    KW13

I say go for it! let the guy see that people have a life, your not a ex JW so its even better for him to see how you've survived 100% without the Society.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Well, I tried!

I called round for him, but he was just on his way to his home village to visit his (non JW) family.

I'll try again tomorrow. Best not take him to the 'cabaret club' though - that would be a step too far!

Thanks for the replies.

• KW13
    KW13
    Well, I tried!

I called round for him, but he was just on his way to his home village to visit his (non JW) family.

I'll try again tomorrow. Best not take him to the 'cabaret club' though - that would be a step too far!

Thanks for the replies.

my dad lived in paphos (cyprus) and there were lots of 'cabaret clubs' there lol, i never got to go to one though.

still has his house out there, but its more of a holiday home for him now. Anyway, let us know how it goes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit