Depression

by Honesty 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

How widespread is it among jehovah's witnesses and how do they cope with it?

• KW13
    KW13

i know my mum was depressed for a while as a jw, i was and many others i KNEW had it.

cope? i think its more of a case of burying it and pretending its not there until its too much, they think the cure is ministry and more meetings, but only cos of the pressure to do so.

btw nice thread

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I see alot that are depressed and I think they deal with it by their forever waiting on Armeggedon.

• serendipity
    serendipity

JWs 'cure' depression with Prozac or other drugs, rather than addressing the root cause.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Booze, Effexor, more booze, and prayers that the worldlings will evaporate.

• Arthur
    Arthur

They stuff themselves with Prozac and food, while blaming worldly people for all of their sorrows.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

How do they cope with depression? In my mother-in-law's case, Prozac, ministry, meetings and gossip.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

In my mums case - Ministry.

In my case - booze.

In my aunties case - booze.

In my friends Mother in laws - Prozac.

In my friends husbands case - an affair and a nervous breakdown.

In my friends father in laws case - an affair.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

daddy dearest took multiple drugs, tried to kill himself with a handful of pills and a bottle of whiskey...everyone told him he needed to pray more. when i was a depressed suicidal teenager, grandpa told me to stop being foolish and get to the meetings and field service. gosh, how i miss all that great advice.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

mother takes ---zoloft

youngest sister -- zoloft

middle sister-- something but she never told me mom did

sister in australia-- prozac

Me--, effexor XR, also trazadone, ativan, morphine, demoral and every now and then a few good drinks.

Depression is complex sometimes, I don't want to be depressed but I am and I wish I could make it go away. I have been on meds since i was 18, now I am nearly 55yrs. old. I was told I had bi-polar and that there are a few things happening in my skull and until I see the neurologist and then have my MRI's in November I am still in the dark.

I love life and I love people and God and myself and still I fight with this depression.

I hear where u are coming from.

love

Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit