If there is no hell what is this?

by Rooster 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rooster
    Rooster

"But a certain man was rich, and he used to deck himself with purple and linen, enjoying himself from day to day with magnificence. 20 But a certain beggar named Laz´a·rus used to be put at his gate, full of ulcers 21 and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, too, the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. 22 Now in course of time the beggar died and he was carried off by the angels to the bosom [position] of Abraham.

"Also, the rich man died and was buried. 23 And in Ha´des he lifted up his eyes, he existing in torments, and he saw Abraham afar off and Laz´a·rus in the bosom [position] with him. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Laz´a·rus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you received in full your good things in your lifetime, but Laz´a·rus correspondingly the injurious things. Now, however, he is having comfort here but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and YOU people, so that those wanting to go over from here to YOU people cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.’ 27 Then he said, ‘In that event I ask you, father, to send him to the house of my father, 28 for I have five brothers, in order that he may give them a thorough witness, that they also should not get into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.’ 30 Then he said, ‘No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead.’"

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Oh that! That's just a story, it didn't actually MEAN what it says!

• Warlock
    Warlock

Yeah, all the poor go to heaven and all the rich go to hell.

Warlock

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

The rich man is in a "blazing fire" and all he asks is: "Can I have a drink?"!!!

• Honesty
    Honesty

It reads differently in a real Bible:

Luke 16:19-31 “There was a rich man who would dress in purple and fine linen, feasting lavishly every day. But a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, was left at his gate. He longed to be filled with what fell from the rich man’s table, but instead the dogs would come and lick his sores. One day the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torment in Hades , he looked up and saw Abraham a long way off, with Lazarus at his side. ‘Father Abraham!’ he called out, ‘Have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this flame!’

The rich dude didn't do what Jesus said we should do for others:

Matt 25:40 “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

• Warlock
    Warlock

The poor man LONGED to be filled with what fell from the rich mans table. Why didn't the poor man LONG to be filled with the word of God?

Warlock

• FairMind
    FairMind

Maybe this was one of the many illustrations Jesus used. Notice how it starts with a "certain rich man"? The doctrine of a burning hell where the wicked are eternally tortured makes God into some kind of a monster. Just my opinion.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

This so reminded me of an old Ren and Stimpy cartoon!

This old woman is in a high rise that's on fire. She is throwing out her possessions to ren and stimpy (they were firemen in this episode) and she tosses her cat her dog her toaster etc then suddenly she tosses her horse out the window! Of course it's to big and they can't catch it and it falls 10 stories and when it lands in the street it shattered all it's legs and it was crawling down the street screaming "it hurts it hurts oh god it hurts" this reporter runs up and says "Mister horse Mister horse, what do you think about what happened to you" the horse stops screaming sits up looks really thoughtful rubs his chin and says "no sir didn't like it, didn't like it at all" then drops back to the ground and continues up the street screaming...

This story is kind of like that! Imagine your whole body covered with flames, hundreds of degrees eyeballs boiling flesh roasting, cracking and falling off. Then stopping and saying "excuse me sir, could I trouble you for a glass of water? Maybe a sip of ice tea?"

Seems a bit silly to me.... Just cause it's in a book (even an OLD book) doesn't make it factual!

• pallemar
    pallemar

my english is not so good, but what about this one?

Numbers 16
    30 But if Jehovah make a new thing, and the ground open its mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down alive into Sheol; then ye shall understand that these men have despised Jehovah. 31 And it came to pass, as he made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them; 32 and the earth opened its mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. 33 So they, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into Sheol: and the earth closed upon them, and they perished from among the assembly. 34 And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them; for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up.

35 And fire came forth from Jehovah, and devoured the two hundred and fifty men that offered the incense. 36 And Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying,

• Mary
    Mary
    Maybe this was one of the many illustrations Jesus used.

It was an illustration, but Jesus always used illustrations that the Jews were familiar with and that really happened. Prodigal sons really did return home after squandering their inheritance, people did find hidden treasures, people did plant vineyards or catch fish......the idea that Jesus would base an illustration on a supposed "false doctrine" is ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit