Sleep

by Twitch 4 Replies latest social physical

• Twitch
    Twitch

I once attended a seminar on sleep that was focused on the effects of shift work and how the constantly changing wake/sleep cycles can affect health and well being. I forget the name of this particular sleep researcher as it was a few years ago and I attend many seminars as a AV technician. But what I learned was very informative and I'll take the opp to share what I remember.

Sleep has four stages, with the body going through all four states in approx 90 minutes. A normal night's sleep consists of going through these four stages a number of times. An interesting fact is that naturally, the body will consider a good night's sleep a multiple of this time frame, approximately of course. Thus you may feel as refreshed with 6 hours of sleep as with 7.5 hours. If you awake in the midst of a cycle, chances are you'll feel tired and grumpy with it taking longer to "get going".

Stage 1 is when you're just drifting off and look asleep but are aware of your surroundings to some degree. If the TV is on at this stage and someone turns it off, you'll likely awake. Lucid dreaming most often occurs here (more on that later). Stages 2 & 3 are successively deeper states where the brain begins it's chemical and psychological "housecleaning", signalling changes in various glands and itself that it's time to rest and recuperate. The digestive tract is shut down, heart rate and breathing change, etc. The most important change happens in the brain in stage 3, the "deep" sleep, where it's activity and functioning change drastically in order to "clean" up various chemical buildups that happen throughout the day and to regenerate critcal cells. This stage is most important in maintaining a healthy "brain", for lack of a better description and is usually shortened or even missed if regular sleep cycles are interrupted. Stage 4 is REM sleep which is when dreams occur and is a relatively short stage in the cycle. After REM sleep, the cycle starts over again, with the body reverting to the more "semi-conscious" stage 1, often coinciding with waking up momentarily or realizing you need to hit the washroom.

Normally, our bodies develop a biological operating pattern throughout each day, the circadian rhythm, which is primarily influenced by exposure to light but also influenced by other factors such as digestion (don't eat before bedtime as example). This is a product of evolution that all animals have due to the natural state of day/night. Certain biological processes and hormonal levels rise and fall over the course of the day, one being the "proper" time to sleep, another being the peak of mental alertness ("morning/evening person"). If said patterns are constantly being interrupted and changed, the result is a confused body constantly readjusting it's biological "clock" and processes. Jet lag is an example of what the body goes through in the short term. Shift work is very hard on the body, as anyone in the biz knows and it takes time for the body to adjust properly. "Deep" sleep often suffers and the result is too apparent.

Some of the tips offered by this researcher to induce sleep were;

• reduce external stimuli ie. turn off all lights and sound (obvious but true)
    • maintain a regular sleep/wake cycle where possible
    • go for a good walk before bed to "burn" off excess physical and mental energy
    • don't eat anything for 2-3 hours before bed
    • try not to nap in the daytime. This "fragments" the sleep cycle and delays the normal night pattern

Of course, all this is a layman's viewpoint on the subject. I would welcome any further info on the topic.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good post Twitch!

Some of the tips offered by this researcher to induce sleep were;
    • try not to nap in the daytime. This "fragments" the sleep cycle and delays the normal night pattern

I totally agree with this. When my children were young I learned very early (from their birth) how important routine is along with all the points above. I never had problem sleepers which was a very good thing, 5 kids and a very tired Mom!

At times I've had bouts with insomnia and usually one or more of the points above was lacking and within days of getting back to the basic's my insomnia was gone. That and a very hot soak in the bath right before bed.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I work shift work myself and at the present time working night shift 12am-12noon...and in the process of moving...talk about time to sleep being screwed up...but this was very helpful....once i get situated with the move I'll probably be able to get more hours of sleep...but my shift constantly switches every month....

My mom used to tell me i jumped and twitched alot in my sleep..i wonder if that is because my sleep time has always been screwed up since high school...im a self-proclaimed night owl so i rarely go to sleep, even on my off days, before 1 or 2 am even when i have to be back up at 6am..

these tips are very helpful tho...

• try not to nap in the daytime. This "fragments" the sleep cycle and delays the normal night pattern.
  • i will try some of them..can't do the turn all lights off one tho..yes i'm afraid of the dark..lol...can't sleep in total darkness..and i have the habit of going to sleep with the tv on and putting it on sleep mode so that i can have some type of noise to help me get to sleep..sometimes that backfires because something good will come on and i end up watching it instead of going to sleep.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I haven't slept well for 30 years! The points you made don't work for me!!

I guess I'm a hopeless case!

Ian

• caligirl
    caligirl

To echo Dansk (although not 30 years yet! I hope it clears up before that) I have not slept well for years.

Thos suggestions may work fine for people with occasional insomnia, but they don't do a darn thing (unfortunately) for those of us with CHRONIC insomnia ( I am posting this at 1:AM and am wide awake). I can turn off the lights and lay in bed all night and still not sleep a wink. I can walk miles on my treadmill and nada in the sleep department, I don't eat right before bed and with a 3 and 10 year old, a day time snooze is out of the question. My current sleep wake cycle is 3-10am, which will be out the window next week when my son goes back to school. THen it will become 7am for the wake up.

I'm headed for doctor's help in the inducing sleep area very soon because I am so beyond exhausted (physically anyways) it's not even funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit