Why didn't the preaching work stop prior to 1975?

by plmkrzy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Why didn't the preaching work stop prior to 1975? It doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon either.

I raised this question before I stopped attending the meetings in the late 90's and the answer I was given was, "It has slowed down a lot and will eventually stop when the time is right".

How come the gb doesn't come up with a time to stop the preaching work but keep talking about the end being so close? So close to what?

They just keep going and going and going and going with the end so close.

can anyone explain the jw reason for this?

plum

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Because the evil Bethel Bubbas did not believe the crap they wrote and preached.

Someone else, I forget who it was now...said they discovered real estate being purchased in late 1974-1975 too by those good ol boys.

but of course, they never said Armageddon was comin anyways

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Because the evil Bethel Bubbas did not believe the crap they wrote and preached.

Sadly enough that's the only reason that makes much sense.

If they were waiting for their proper food to be delivered then they wouldn't be talking as though it's just around the corner because the preaching work coming to a stop was always a big part of the "last days", the really last of the last days.

• Warlock
    Warlock

My first understanding was the preaching work would stop before "A".

My second understanding (must have been "new light") was, we would go right on preaching thru the Great "T" and Big "A".

Now, the countdown to the Big "A" being "just around the corner" to "we are at the doorstep" was if the Apostles were expecting it in the first century, then, how much more so for us to "keep on the watch".

Warlock

• headmath
    headmath

Because the dubs went in a preaching franzy at the time in order to get in good with god.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Because it was a skeem to increase #s and it worked very well. Rate of number of dubs more than doubled in the decade leading up to '75 when compared to the previous decade.

'sides as 73, 75, and 75 rolled around, none of the marker prophecies were fulfilled to denote that the preaching should stop or change focus.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Remember that in 1975 there was no open preaching in any of the Eastern Block countries. There was still lots to do, so there was no slowdown, They had to hear one way or another. I remember thinking how unfair it was to the commies that the preaching work wasn't going on there on a grand scale too.

Its all a joke.

Keep up the good work comrade.

W.Once

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Warlock

My second understanding (must have been "new light") was, we would go right on preaching thru the Great "T" and Big "A".

This “new light” must have lit up after I left in the late nineties? I don’t remember it. With all the lights that have been lit, so far, it should be bright enough by now to see something real.

IP_SEC

'sides as 73, 75, and 75 rolled around, none of the marker prophecies were fulfilled to denote that the preaching should stop or change focus.

I was very young still during this time but remember it clearly and remember being pissed off because we were not being told to stop going out in service. Lol! I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with these people: It CAN'T happen in 1975 WERE STILL PREACHING! Hahaha.

W.Once

I remember thinking how unfair it was to the commies that the preaching work wasn't going on there on a grand scale too.

I can remember thinking about all those people in 3 rd world countries that never even heard of a watchtower or awake and never would: this can’t be right, Jehovah will let them make it through Armageddon and they will be witnessed to after.

Either way I knew something was wrong with the whole picture.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I remember asking an elder in service if there would be a point when the number baptized would be zero and very few would be willing to accept literature. He did not have a comment on it, and changed after saying something about not going ahead of the faithful slave. I've learned this much on that day, elders don't like speculating on anything. Funny, because isn't that exactly the excuse used by Watchtower to cover up what actually happened in the years leading up to 1975?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

jayhawk1

I remember asking an elder in service if there would be a point when the number baptized would be zero

What a good question, one I never thought to ask.

not going ahead of the faithful slave.

Speculating is their job even though they are supposed to have the wisdom to know better they do it anyway. I will NEVER get that no matter what excuses I hear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit