Are things really worse now?

by NikL 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

There was actually a 20/20 or dateline (can't remember which) special on "are things worse now than they were before" that compared 50 years ago, 100 years ago and 200 years ago on all sorts of planes like healthcare, natural disasters, war, famine, etc. The conclusion was no things are a lot better now than they used to be.

I think the issue here is change. People do not like change and they see things in perspective of "the good old days" seeing only what distresses them and not all the improvements. Similarly they don't remember the problems and discomforts of their own era but only the good times.

• isthisit
    isthisit

i don't think things are worse, global communications have just got better. Bombs have always gone off, hell i live in a country that had threats of bombings and "terrorists" (or freedom fighters,depending on what side you are on). The thing is that everyone now has an opinion and can blog about it and mouth off on message boards (um) and on articles posted by journalists. It is all just perception because we have almost too much information about what is going on around us.

• Carmel
    Carmel

For a different perspective on the 20th century you might take a look at this...

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/bic/COL/col-2.html

Carmelb

• CordyC
    CordyC

You know what is perplexing for me? The JWs teach that Satan was expelled from heaven in 1914 and he is angry because he has such a short period of time and so he is making things much worse for mankind. YET- history has been full of bloodshed and the like and things were bloodier before 1914 from what we know from history- so if everything happening now is because of Satan's anger- what about back then?

Also, I can't see why a loving god would send a creature like that down to the earth so that mankind can suffer and when it gets to the point that you can't bear anymore, he's like poof- all beter. It's like sending people to the slaughter or leaving a defenseless deer with a lion. Loving god? RIIIIGHT......

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit