How Long Would They Last Without The Society?

by ThomasCovenant 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

Following on a little from 2 topics (XJW Critical Mass) and (The Real Reason JW's don't accept Blood) sorry but don't know how to show the links, I got to thinking:

If the Society were to finish publishing and closed down because of say bankruptcy from lawsuits, how long do you think the worldwide brotherhood would last?

I feel this is a good question to ask those still in.Would they still worship Jehovah without the rigmarole of 5 meetings, personal study and preaching work and the monthly Kingdom Ministry and other regular literature. Surely they would have to carry on to prove they really do follow Big J and not the Society. I think that it would collapse within 12 months.

I'm sure the circumstances of those behind the Iron Curtain could be used to show that brothers would carry on but surely they still had occassional new literature. If the Society said there is no more printing and not going to be any in the future please read your Bibles instead how long do you think? Could this scenario be put in an 'innocent' way to those still in to try and get them to think about what they worship?

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

They may still worship Jah but it would be drastically different I would guess. Without the constant "food". It would probably be how it should be.

• anewme
    anewme

Very interesting thought. How long would it last? Like those who are underground they would pass around old literature and articles would be reprinted at home and circulated no doubt for awhile.
    Without the gas money I doubt the PO and CO would make the rounds anymore.
    The body of elders might fall apart and there might be squabbling over who is the leader.
    Some congregations will stop the formal door to door ministry and others will insist it continue.
    I think you are right, all heck would occur should the administration fold.
    Very interesting.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

When the Romans withdrew from Britain, the absence of centralized government caused the country to fracture into a large number of small kingdoms. I imagine that, without the "Pax Societa" the "brotherhood" would disintegrate into a bunch of small congregations, or possibly groups of congregations, all with varying teachings, and all claiming to be the "rightful" heirs to the title Jehovahs Witnesses.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You have to be quick around here.

gaiagirl has already beaten me to the punch.

Go girl

Chris

• RR
    RR

If the Society closed its doors for whatever reason. The dubs would simply rise up and create another golden cow to worhsip.

Brooklyn Bethel was closed donw for a few years when the directors were imprisoned. They simply reorganized from PA.

In Canada the Society was banned, the Dubs simply reorganized and published a magazine under a different name.

When Herbert W. Armstrong died, it took less then 10 years to transform his empire from a cult to a mainstream. Not without cost. They lost 75% of their followers. They had to sell off most of their property, schools, universities, radio and television stations. They even sold off The Present Truth Magazine. They went from a couple of hundred thousand members to about 50,000 or less.

Those who left, continued the work.

If the Society closed down. There will simply be mini Societies, vying for the attention of the masses.

RR

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They'd probably run around like headless chickens for a while, then some of the more anbitious ones among them would exert a measure of control over the rest, and carry on almost as before. However, I think they'd become a National or even Regional brotherhood, rather than an International one.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think they would be very confused. They would talk about still worshipping Jehovah but without any direction they would just rehash the material they did have over and over in a more obsessive manner perhaps than before. /shrug those who were spiritually weak I'm sure would just fall away without the "supervision" of meetings and reporting time, etc. but it would not effect the over zealous.

• Forscher
    Forscher

The comment about the Iron curtain reminded me of a few things.
    Remember when the Iron Curtain fell the vague comments by the society about some trouble among the Witnesses their which required some "adjustments"? It seems that through the years most of the "Witnesses" behind the Iron Curtain had only had Russell's writings to guide them. When freedom came and the WTBTS moved in to assert its "authority" over the flock, many of those "Witnesses" took one look at what the organization had become and decided they wanted nothing to do with it. In some places that was upwards of half the Witnesses!
    The result is that the Bible Students have quite a presence in many of those lands. I remember from my time on another forum a Witnesses from Hungary commenting about how most of the oldtimers seem to be considered tainted by the WTBTS and are cut out of prominent positions or happenings over there. Jaracz went over there to give a talk some years back which was invitation only. Guess who didn't get invited? Many of those old ones who'd stuck with the WTBTS when folks walked!
    How does this relate to the topic? There are many hardcore folks who would carry on in the event of the collapse of the WTBTS. Those in positions of power locally wouldn't want to give that power up and would use whatever literature they have as their "spiritual food". They would still have their petty little rules, though it is possible that they might not spend so much time knocking on doors without the "mother" organization on their backs. Many would leave, but those with the emotional need to be in that abusive relationship as well as those who have that need to abuse would carry on. There probably wouldn't be many, but there would be some at least until they all die out. When you think of it, the same thing happened to the Shakers through the years.
    Forscher

• KW13
    KW13

i can imagine some being crazy and staying at it not believing the truth and others who just stop going, finally with an excuse/reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit