What do you like to read?

by JH 34 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

Agatha Christy, historical romance, PG Wodehouse, classics, gardening books - anything except wts literature!They used to make me feel bad when they'd counsel us no to read too much other than their material so am making up for lost time!

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

It never occurred to me while in the Org that I was trying to feed a spiritual hunger that could really never be satisfied. Since then, I too have been attempting to 'make up for lost time' (much as I went on a CD & movie buying spree in the first year-and-a-half) by building a personal spiritual library drawn from many different sources--primarily indigenous & Earth-based wisdom, but also Buddhism in various forms, comparative Christianity, Jung, Nietzsche, Aldous Huxley, the Rosicrucians, Haitian Vodou--to name but a very few. Of course I have no idea when I will get around to reading it all (if ever!!!), but it gives me a good feeling just knowing it is there. With my latest purchase of a book on Zoroastrianism (fascinating as hell), it looks like my collection is closer to including virtually every philosophy or spirituality known to man..

When I have the time, though (that elusive commodity), I greatly enjoy reading as many earlier posts on this site as possible. The amount of knowledge & experience acquired by many here is staggering. I can honestly say that I learned more in my first few days of 'lurking' here than in the last year or so in PRISON, & I am learning more all the time..

At the risk of sounding like a TV announcer, "With thanks to our many contributors for making this program possible."

DR

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I love fantasy; even the cliched fantasy stories everyone else got over. I was never allowed to read them so they are new to me. I like anything by Mercedes Lackey especially or Tamora Pierce. I like medieval stories with a fictional base, science fiction (Star wars, ender's game), and cyberpunk literature (Netforce, Snowcrash).

As far as non fiction I try to keep up with politics both in canada and the united states and I do a lot of social science reading for my classes.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Aside from (Blatant Flattery Alert) your threads and posts JH... ahem

I like to read thrillers and really well written literature that makes me think and question in a way that Jdub literature never did.

• vitty
    vitty

Ive just read the Time travellers wife..............it was very good, well written. It was a love story with a twist. I recommend it.

• forsharry
    forsharry

I'll read just about anything. I love learning new things...right now I'm reading

"Animals in Translation" - about what animals are saying from an autistic woman who has an uncanny ability to read animals...it's a good book and nicely written.

"Trespass Against Us - Dow and the Toxic Century." - not exactly light reading, but it's a good book showing how "Better Living Through Chemistry" is probably killing us. :)

oh and of course trashy romance novel...for some seasoning. ;)

• RR
    RR

I like to read anything with words on the pages.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I like James Patterson and Dean Koontz books. Currently reading Angels and Demons, a little hard to get into, but it is much better now...The I will start reading Da Vinci Code...

Nikki

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Agatha Christie!!

The best recent (fiction) book I've read is ''Nobody True'' by James Herbert - I'd recommend it.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Right now, I'm reading "The Mathematical Universe: A Guide to the Proofs, Problems and Personalities Throughout History"

A little abstract but that's me ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit