Do Sex Offender Laws Go Too Far In SOME Cases?

by target 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• roybatty
    roybatty

There was a segment on Dateline about this a while ago. It gave the example of one guy who was 30 years old who started dating a woman in his neighbourhood who he thought was about 22 or 23. After a few months, she finally told him she was only 16. He knew he should break it off at that point, but he was already in love with her and they continued on. That is, until her father found out, pressed charges and the poor bugger went to prison for 3 years and is now a registered sex offender. Even the girl went to court on his behalf to emphasize that she had led him to believe she was older, that he did not coerce her in any way, that she was in love with him and she slept with him willingly.
    Sorry but I agree with the court. Someone who's 30 has no business messing around with a 16 year old.

• StormWarrior
    StormWarrior

Thanks for the welcome Serendipity.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Thats a sad story...it seems extreme, are you sure that is all to the story, or just all they are telling you??

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Yes, some pedophile laws appear to go to far. Public urination should not be considered a crime on the same level as say, exposing one's self for sexual gratification.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I agree with Mary here. I think these laws were made by people who deny their kids the right to have possession of their own body.

• earthtone
    earthtone

Batty, I think every state has it's own fine print. Something laws are slightly different from the next state, so this might be true for colorado, but different in IL

• Broken Hearted
    Broken Hearted

I have posted on this topic many times on this website.

Here is one of my post. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/114792/2010215/post.ashx#2010215

And about taking a child away, yes they do that, a friend of mine right now can not have visitation with his own child and breaks my heart because he is really not a pedofile.

I am also pasting a letter I sent the Governor of florida when they decided to not only post pictures and addresses of our sexual offenders but their cars and tags also. read letter to get my comments on that.

Governor Bush,

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

There are two problems with this issue.

1) No one wants to be in the position of arguing for alleged offenders, so it would be hard to change things.

2) This law is an abuse of power. Just like the 'terrorism' laws that are being stretched to fit all kinds of potential crimes that have nothing to do with terrorism. However, if law enforcement can remotely label it as potenntial terrorism, they are free to discard all sorts of rights and freedoms.

The urinating cases are pathetic. So are the cases of sex between young people. The police could care less if it destroys someone's life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit