If this isn't the truth, then what is our hope?

by Gigi2121 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Quote from Don Quixote..."Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all

is to see life as it is and not as it should be"

With that being said I don't fear death as I did when I was a JW, I

don't worry about the resurrection (If it come that's great but if not I

will never know), my hope is to leave a legacy for my children..

So for that reason I'm living life to the fullness and very happy..

• whathappened
    whathappened

This youtube entry is well worth spending the time it takes to listen. Very funny and full of "ahah" moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTvx_QA6gIc

It is Julia Sweeny's "Letting Go of God." It has helped many people I know, as it helped me.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The "TRUTH" is that I will NEVER be held captive by an organization's set of beliefs anymore...

I will learn and discover things about my own life.

Why do we as a human race feel the need to "fit into a mould" of other man made doctrines?

• blondie
    blondie

Thank you phizzy...I loved reading that.

The following is known as the Atheists Wager (in answer to Pascal's) :

" You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in god.

If there is no god, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind.

If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him "

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse
    Hi gigi2121 don't be in a hurry to immerse yourself on another belief system. If you still believe in the bible, read it and choose what you want to believe. But for now, just enjoy life and do good to others. Cheers.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gigli2121 - "If this isn't the truth, then what is our hope?."

Freedom....

...to forge your own future...

...to enjoy whatever art form makes you happy, regardless of its origin...

...to fall in love with anyone you want and pursue a relationship with them...

...to come to a conclusion - any conclusion - based on facts and reason without being hamstrung by ideology...

As hopes go, they ain't half bad.

• millie210
    millie210

Most of us who were Witnesses were aware that there was a "break" in the chain of who was a Witness after the apostles died and down to our day. The Society made a couple half hearted attempts to say they were different individuals who tried to translate the Bible or stood up against the Catholic church but basically they let it lie as the unresolved fact that it is.

So what about all those people? What did they put faith in, think about, do?

Basically they were on their own.

I find that enormously thought provoking.

Either the atheists are right in which case we can all relax and forget the "God issues" or there is a God - the same one that existed in that gap between Pauls day and ours.

Either way, there is no Governing Body of men that God is working through today.

Sometimes finding out what to believe is eliminating what is NOT true, isnt it?

• Half banana
    Half banana

“Sometimes finding out what to believe is eliminating what is NOT true, isn’t it?

A very good point Millie, it’s not possible to understand our existence clearly if you are dragging around old false assumptions.

The key to understanding is to question the validity of everything.

The greatest barriers to understanding are belief in holiness and faith.

If JWs don’t have the truth and you leave the mental dependency of religious obligation...one vital truth emerges: there is no single body of truth.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Gigi -- I'm not quite convinced about what the future is for us after this life, but I'm afraid I'm leaning to the concept that it's not going to be any different than it was before this life. (And at least I don't recall that being a bad thing.) When I give the matter serious thought, I hope I'm wrong about that conclusion, but I don't think I have any control in it.

Doc

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." ~ Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit