Ever ask an elder why there are two gods described in the Bible?

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

What I'm saying, is that just because God has done things that we don't understand that doesn't mean that God was wrong to do those things, it just means that we don't understand fully why he did it, and I’m not going to start throwing rocks at him just because I don’t fully understand.

Some evolutionist that I’ve spoken to at the doors claim that the bible’s explanation of creation is too simplistic, what I assume they were saying is that the bible doesn’t explain HOW God created man, simple saying that God made Man from dust wasn’t a good enough explanation for them, so they decided to go for evolution. The comparison here is that again just because God didn’t fully explain HOW he made Man doesn’t satisfy some. The bible wasn’t written to tell us HOW God made Man nor to explain to us every reason for every thing that he did, like he showed Job, he didn’t need to give us an explanation, and if we feel that God does owe us an explanation then I feel we have the problem.

Hating the WTS is one thing but some of you guys take it out on God.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    I don’t believe God butchers people, women and children for nothing, even if he didn’t fully explain it to us

Why does it not bother you for your god to do this, and yet you would not want to be with or assocaite with any human who would do the same thing. Doesn't a god, need to be a personality you would be willing to sit with and love? This god seems like someone who is on a power trip and willing to pass judgement in the most violent of ways. It makes me sick, actually.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Lone Ranger:

What I'm saying, is that just because God has done things that we don't understand that doesn't mean that God was wrong to do those things, it just means that we don't understand fully why he did it, and I’m not going to start throwing rocks at him just because I don’t fully understand.

But you'll concede that the god of the Old Testament appears to be a bloodthirsty homicidal maniac, even if he somehow has a good reason for his behaviour that he never explains?

Some evolutionist that I’ve spoken to at the doors claim that the bible’s explanation of creation is too simplistic, what I assume they were saying is that the bible doesn’t explain HOW God created man, simple saying that God made Man from dust wasn’t a good enough explanation for them, so they decided to go for evolution.

I think the majority of people believe the fact of evolution because they are educated, not because of shortcomings in any creation myth.

The comparison here is that again just because God didn’t fully explain HOW he made Man doesn’t satisfy some. The bible wasn’t written to tell us HOW God made Man nor to explain to us every reason for every thing that he did, like he showed Job, he didn’t need to give us an explanation, and if we feel that God does owe us an explanation then I feel we have the problem.

So, we're supposed to blindly accept that this book which is factually inaccurate and woefully primitive is really the word of God, and that said god has reasons he doesn't explain for acting like a psychotic tyrant, and that those of us who question this are the ones at fault?

Hating the WTS is one thing but some of you guys take it out on God.

The Bible god doesn't need the WTS to make him look bad.

• dobbie
    dobbie

This is something i can't understand, why God would kill even innocent ones - he wiped out Jobs childrens just so basically he could stick his tongue out at Satan - but the jws say it doesn't matter, he replaced them with more and they'll get a resurrection - bit like wts and blood, don't worry if your child dies you can always have another, and they'll get a resurrection!Makes me feel

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Just finished reading "Jehovah Unmasked," by Nathaniel Merritt, which addresses this OT/NT two God quandary.

I had been grappling with the "may your name be kept holy" thing for awhile after learning "Jehovah" is nowhere to be found in any NT manuscript. Jesus himself nor any Apostle ever used it. It sort of disturbed me that the Witnesses are obsessed with splashing a Catholic mistranslation of God's "sanctified" name all over the place... Could this just be one more way Satan gets his kicks?
    This book answered my questions in a way I was never prepared for. It was like putting my faith through a wood chipper.... AGAIN... What Merritt puts forth was truly mind-blowing to me. I certainly don't believe everything he writes (and he could really use a skilled editor) but a lot of it makes sense in a very creepy way. It's my intro to Gnosticism, a "forbidden" subject I had heard about over the years but never investigated.
    In the end, my faith is renewed, but I would advise to tread lightly.

Here is a previous thread on it:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/99637/1.ashx

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit