Ever ask an elder why there are two gods described in the Bible?

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    but I don’t believe God butchers people, women and children for nothing

Then why???

I know the "faith thing" is how it works but how are we to have faith in God when we have no guidance.

The bible says all things inspired... but man wrote that. If I wrote God told me to post this it doesn't mean he did. I used to hate when I'd here that scripture. It's like confronting a JW with concrete proof and they research JW publications. What do you think it will say?

Faith consists of reading man made documents passed down and altered (to suit personal intrests?) over thousands of years.

Knowing how man is and was, it is hard to trust anything. Yes we can listen to our hearts, but have our hearts been trained?

• Arthur
    Arthur

When I've brought up this question, various Witnesses have always said: "Well, what about what the book of Psalms says? Psalms talks about all of God's love and mercy!"

My response is: "Yeah, but who wrote the Psalms? It was a member of the Jewish nation. In the Old Testament, the God Yahweh favored the Jews, sanctioned their bloody escapades, and gave them permission to steal land and pillage cities. So, if you are a Jew, God is of course going to be loving and benevolent. But, not so charitable if you are a three year old child living inside Jericho".

Remember: even Osama Bin Laden pays lip service to worshipping a God who is "all merciful".

And of course, they go through their usual recycled cliches, platitudes, and talking points as to why I am naive and why "Jehovah put these accounts into the Bible for our benefit".

I just don't give a damn about trying to have these conversations with JWs anymore. It's like trying to converse with a tree stump.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    If I wrote God told me to post this it doesn't mean he did.

By the way, I am going to write a book saying my last post was inspired and any whom question it are apostates!

It's the same thing.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    As far as children being killed are concerned, remember that all remembrance of their gross ways had to be removed, if children were allowed to live and grow up then the Idol worship and Human sacrifices would be recalled. Also, I believe God will resurrect them all.

This is the same sociopathic justification that Al Qaeda and Hamas uses as justification for killing "infidels". It is this ideology that justifies blowing up bus loads full of innocent Israely children for what Hamas calls their "Zionist" idolatry.

Isn't it funny how a supposedly omnipotent God had such a lack of intellect that the best idea he can come up with to deal with Canaanite children, is to have them hacked to death with swords. (why not kill them in their sleep like the Assyrian soldiers?)

I'm sorry, but ethnic cleansing and genocide is not the calling card of an all-wise, all-powerful, and all-loving God. It is the stock and trade of sick human beings who need to justify their hedonistic actions within themselves and within their own political arenas.

"God told us to do it" is the oldest excuse in human history. Just a casual glance at any encyclopedia will make this obvious.

• Gill
    Gill

Lone Ranger - From recent readings on ancient civilisations, it appears that the Jews were Canaanites. When these 'foreigners' the Haribu, or the wandering Canaanites moved into Egypt and became rulers for a while, Egypt declined. There was no building taking place and the laws changed from 'Maat' which is justice and fairness, to cruel laws.

Egypt only 'rose' again, when the 'foreigners' stopped ruling.

The Jews are not different to the Canaanintes. They are one and the same. The Jewish nation had to be TOLD not to sacrifice their children to idols and they also had temple prostitutes as did the Canaanites. They were one and the same.

Go back far enough and you'll be surprised what you find out.

The discrepancy in God's character? Could have something to do with the fact that the 'Bible' is a man made book, stapled together by another controling cult - Roman Catholicism.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Lone Ranger:

As far as children being killed are concerned, remember that all remembrance of their gross ways had to be removed, if children were allowed to live and grow up then the Idol worship and Human sacrifices would be recalled. Also, I believe God will resurrect them all.

So the reason God slaughtered a whole nation, including children was so that they would not make human sacrifices? Sounds like the cure was worse than the disease. What was so bad about human sacrifices if "God will resurrect them all" anyway?

But Yahweh of Armies didn't always kill all the children. When he ordered the genocide of the Midianites (why?), he allowed the Israelite men to spare the virgin girls and keep them for themselves (well, all except the "tribute" of 32 that he demanded as a sacrifice).

Indeed, the god of the Old Testament is undoubtedly one of the most unpleasant characters in all fiction.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I knew I was gonna get it from you guys.. but listen, how do you feel when you hear on the news about some nut who go's on a shooting rapepage, then the cops arrest him, and he just go's to jail, the tax payer has to look after him, maybe he even writes a book and gets interviews, I'm sure you've heard stories like this, so does it make you feel? then some social worker says 'there..there..we need to understand..he was suffering from depresion or something like that"...easy for the social wroker to say, try saying that to the victims families, I'm sure they would feel that hanging would be too good for him. you being the same way as these social workers.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Very simple: Every god is created in the image of the one who worships it.

The Hebrews and the Christians had / have two very different world views.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

And the answer is...New Testament Gawd hired a better P.R. firm....you know, different spin...they told him, "listen Gawd, it is true that you can catch more flies with honey."

-BONEZZ

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Lone Ranger:

I knew I was gonna get it from you guys.. but listen, how do you feel when you hear on the news about some nut who go's on a shooting rapepage, then the cops arrest him, and he just go's to jail, the tax payer has to look after him, maybe he even writes a book and gets interviews, I'm sure you've heard stories like this, so does it make you feel? then some social worker says 'there..there..we need to understand..he was suffering from depresion or something like that"...easy for the social wroker to say, try saying that to the victims families, I'm sure they would feel that hanging would be too good for him. you being the same way as these social workers.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying the god of the bible is like this, the Old Testament being the account of his homicidal rampages and the New Testament being his conversion to a more loving forgiving being?

In any case, I don't understand how you justify genocide. Killing children just so they won't continue their parents' bad habits is monstrous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit