Watchtower charities and nonprofit organizations

by Kent 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

I followed the link on the "Support freedom" banner, and checked out "Guidestar". http://www.guidestar.org

A search for "Watchtower", naturally came up with their "charitable" work, and it's really impressive!

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Florida, Inc.
    900 RED MILLS RD
    WALLKILL,NY 12589

Program / Activities
    Information currently not available in database
    Financial Info
    Assets: $0
    Income: $0
    This organization files an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.

----------------------------

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.
    25 Columbia Hts
    Brooklyn,NY 11201
    http://www.watchtower.org
    Information in this report was supplied by the nonprofit organization within the last two years.

Who We Are
    The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a non-profit religious organization dedicated to teaching members and others outside the organization about God (Jehovah). We strive to maintain high moral standards that correspond to what Jehovah sees are appropriate. We have houses of worship (Kingdom Halls) in 234 lands around the world.

Program / Activities
    Religion Related, Spiritual Development N.E.C.

Location(s) Served
    All Countries and Areas of the World (234 Lands)
    Contact Info
    Tel: (718) 625-3600
    [email protected]

Financial Info
    This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because it is a church.
    It makes its audited financial statements available to the public upon request.

Chief Executive: Mr. Milton Henschel
    No. of Board Members: 13
    No. of Full Time Employees: 0
    No. of Part-Time Employees: 0
    No. of Volunteers: 0
    more about leaders

EIN: 11-1753577
    Year Founded: 1879

How to Help
    This organization is seeking funds from contributions. These funds will be used for unrestricted operating expenses, special projects and building improvements.

-------------------------------

Charitable Trust Agreement fbo Watchtower Society Louis R And
    PO Box 1308
    Milwaukee,WI 53201

Program / Activities
    Named Trusts/Foundations N.E.C.
    Financial Info
    Fiscal Year: 1997
    Assets: $6,772
    Income: $120,397

------------------------------

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York
    318 S Ash
    Cortez,CO 81321

Program / Activities
    Financial Info
    This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because it is a church.

-------------------------
    Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.
    2236 NW 20TH ST
    OKLAHOMA CITY,OK 73107

Program / Activities
    Financial Info
    Fiscal Year: 1999

--------------------------------

I bet the help from these "charitable" societies will be huge!

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Kent,

another nice post for all of us!

Support...what a strange word expecially if it

comes from a " ...charitable organisation .."

which shows no ...money in the till!

Maybe the flow of money is for them...let me

guess a "ONE-WAY " street.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

P.S. I've received copies of :
    - Les Témoins de Jéhovah ce que vous devez savoir (4 pages in FR)
    - Mission to Africa (16 pages in EN)
    - Jehovas Zeugen menschen aus der Nachbarschaft
    wer sind Sie? (32 pages in DE)

If you want I can mail them to you. Send me by e-mail
    an address of your choice.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Kent,

just a few more comments.

Did you notice in the informations provided by "Guidestar"

that the WTS declares:

"Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.
    25 Columbia Hts
    Brooklyn,NY 11201
    http://www.watchtower.org

Who We Are "

and surprise:

"This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because it is a church. "

- Did I read well ??? "....IT IS A CHURCH .."!!!

Well this won't be digested well in Europe, and if we

add it to " monastic status " (Sweden)

" Religious order .." etc.

it sounds really like any other mainstream RELIGION!!!

Chief Executive: Mr. Milton Henschel
    No. of Board Members: 13
    No. of Full Time Employees: 0
    No. of Part-Time Employees: 0
    No. of Volunteers: 0
    more about leaders

EIN: 11-1753577
    Year Founded: 1879

• Kent
    Kent
    "This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because it is a church. "

- Did I read well ??? "....IT IS A CHURCH .."!!!

Yup. It's the old "Yes, both ways, please!"

I guess they are having some problems, being all and everything at the same way - but so far the bluff has payed off!

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Kent,

only few more lines on the subject :

(from the « reasoning ... » book published in 1985)

*** rs 207-8 Jehovah's Witnesses ***

If Someone Says—

‘Why don’t you people get involved in doing things to help make the world (the community) a better place to live?’

You might reply: ‘Conditions in the community are obviously important to you, and they are to me too. May I ask, What problem do you feel should be among the first that gets attention?’

Then perhaps add: ‘Why do you feel that this has become such a major need? . . . Obviously, immediate action on the matter can be beneficial, but I’m sure you’ll agree that we would like to see improvement on a long-term basis. That is the approach that we as Jehovah’s Witnesses take to the matter.
    (Explain what we do to help people to apply Bible principles in their lives in order to get to the root of the matter on a personal basis; also, what God’s Kingdom will do, and why this will permanently solve the problem for humankind.)’

Or you could say: ‘(After covering some of the points in the preceding reply . . . ) Some people contribute toward community improvement by providing money; others do it by volunteering their services.

Jehovah’s Witnesses do both.

° note: So in few words , who does :” contribute toward community improvement by providing money..” surely not the WTS ‘ society or societies??
    They are ...” a church”!

« Who We Are
    The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a non-profit religious organization dedicated to teaching members and others outside the organization about God (Jehovah). We strive to maintain high moral standards that correspond to what Jehovah sees are appropriate. We have houses of worship (Kingdom Halls) in 234 lands around the world. »
    °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    and this:

rs 207-8 Jehovah's Witnesses ***

Let me explain.’ Then perhaps add:

(1) ‘To be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person must conscientiously pay his taxes; that provides money for the government to supply needed services.’

(2) ‘We go beyond that, calling at the homes of people, offering to study the Bible with them free of charge. When they become acquainted with what the Bible says, they learn to apply Bible principles and so cope with their problems.’

°note: Have you noticed that :”... ‘To be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person must conscientiously pay his taxes ..”
    But of course this does not apply to the WTS...
    They have continually for decades, condemned all organized religions , because
    they are part of “ Babylon the Great “, the empire of false religion,but they declare to be “ a religious organisation “ and “ a church “!!!

Who We Are The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a non-profit religious organization dedicated to teaching members and others outside the organization about God (Jehovah). We strive to maintain high moral standards that correspond to what Jehovah sees are appropriate. We have houses of worship (Kingdom Halls) in 234 lands around the world. Program / Activities Religion Related, Spiritual Development N.E.C. Location(s) Served All Countries and Areas of the World (234 Lands) Contact Info
    Tel: (718) 625-3600
    [email protected]

Financial Info
    This organization is not required to file an annual return with the IRS because it is a church. It makes its audited financial statements available to the public upon request.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Another possibility: ‘I’m glad you brought the matter up. Many people have never inquired to find out what the Witnesses are actually doing about community affairs. Obviously there is more than one way to offer help.’ Then perhaps add:

(1) ‘Some do it by establishing institutions—hospitals, homes for the elderly, rehabilitation centers for drug addicts, and so forth. Others may volunteer to go right to the homes of people and offer appropriate help as they are able. That is what Jehovah’s Witnesses do.’

(2) ‘We have observed that there is something that can transform a person’s entire outlook on life, and that is knowledge of what the Bible shows to be the real purpose of life and what the future holds.’”

°Note: do you wish to receive “... appropriate help as they are able...”?

• TR
    TR

Excellent post, Kent, and great comments, Mac.

I'm constantly amazed at the tidbits you guys dig up. These little facts show what a useless organization the WTS truly is.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello TR,

thanks for your appreciative comments.

"..the truth will set you free .."

• Celtic
    Celtic

Thanks Kent for clarifying this too.

Over the past four years of research upon international disaster engineering and management and in that time not coming upon the WT org mentioned even once, I put this question of community pro-active activity to them over the phone recently and their charitable status in the UK.

The Charity Commission UK has virtually the same listing as the one you have used as a factual example. Needless to say the WT London HQ didn't really give me any weighty answers of substance. Fobbed off, even my parents, still in, were surprised at their cold feelings on the related subjects.

As you know Kent I work with The Community Action Network, an independent think tank in London on issues of social exclusion and community regeneration, environment and sustainability. If you need imformation at any time please feel free to ask for it or if you would like for me on your behalf to post questions within the think tank on your behalf too, please feel free to ask.

Part of my profile on the network describes my activities in connection with assisting ex cult members.

Thanks for that one matey.

peace & balmypotimessimessinism-ism-sum

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Thanks Kent for another very interesting post. I was surprized by this comment: "It makes its audited financial statements available to the public upon request." Has anyone ever requested such data? Maybe we should.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I love the fact that the Watchtower is a Church in America and in Mexico it is not. Hipocrites.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit