Wedding invitation

by riverofdeceit 10 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

***You might also want to test the reaction you get if you do RSVP and say that you're coming to the wedding and reception. Just for fun, mind you. I find that when push comes to shove like that, JWs will usually "uninvite" you in a very awkward manner. "Hey, cousin... I hate to do this, but we really didn't expect you to come to the wedding... the invitation was, you know, just to be polite... but we have to cut back on the guest list ::laughs nervously:: there was a kind of mix-up with the caterer... and since you don't go to meetings anymore, it would just be better ... you know... people would be uncomfortable with you there and stuff... thanks for the gift though!"***

Wow Scully, I had almost that exact experience just last Friday. After much consideration, I opted to RSVP in the positive for my cousins wedding. I called my Aunt's house, (a jw), whom of which sent out the invitations, and confirmed over the answering machine, but I asked her to call back because she did include a guest on the invite, and I wanted to see if I could bring my girlfriend. She did not call back, which I thought was odd, even for her. The next day, her husband, (non-jw at that), calls, and in so many words strongly hints it would be best if I didn't come! He really didn't know how to explain it, and I could sense he felt bad, but I was still shocked at just how low someone could go...My aunt didn't even have the courage to tell me herself! I guess it goes to show how quickly they can turn. Ouch!

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit