National Healthcare for the USA

by sammielee24 348 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Have you talked to any expatriate Cubans lately sixofnine? That much vaunted cuban heathcare system just gets you in to see a doctor and may get you surgery if you can wait in line long enough. It doesn't garaunty you medicine if you need it. You have to pay extra for x-rays etc.. Many female doctors there are selling themselves as prostitues to foreign tourists to get the hard cash to buy medicines for patients who can't afford those medicines. just because Castro get's world-class care doesn't mean rank-and-file cubans do! "

If you ever write a line of accurate, trueful information on this forum, Forscher, I'll probably faint.

Cubans are exporting their great healthcare, they have such an abundance. Costa Rica as well.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six,

If you ever write a line of accurate, trueful information on this forum, Forscher, I'll probably faint.

Add me to the fainting list. In a peverse sort of way, I am pleased that he admitted that his medical issues were at the basis of many of his rants on this Board, I was worrying that these were actually what passed as his rational thoughts. Forscher, I live in Canada. Why not get your medicines here? They are available, even for Right Wing loonies. HS

• Forscher
    Forscher

Still can't debate on the facts sixofnine? So you have to resort to ad homenism? That cuba is sending doctors to Venzuela and Costa Rica doesn't really prove the point. That is nothing more than bribery on Catsro's part to buy influence. In the Case of Venezuela he gets more than he sends because Chavez is using his country's oil money to keep the Cuban economy propped up.
    Forscher

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Hell, if you lived in embargoed Cuba, you'd have the best medical remedies for your PAIN available.

Wonder how many of the folks against NHC realize that Cubans have a longer projected life-span than folks in the US?

It would be stupid to say it's entirely because they enjoy better and more available health-care (there are fewer fatties and their diet is free from a lot of the substances like high sodium doses that kill us earlier) but it would also be stupid to ignore the facts.

It's the damn old people who don't have any money anyway who keep complaining that "they're going to steal our money" and the status-quo in the education system that has Doctors graduating with $3/4 Million dollars in educational debt that keeps us from progressing. Folks like the surly Indian can still PAY for treatment if they don't like what's offered to them (just as Canadians can PAY for treatment here in the States and those of us in the States can PAY for treatment in Canadian clinics so I really don't know what the heck is their problem other than ignorance.

• moshe
    moshe

I believe that Hawaii has a State health insurance plan that covers everyone, but then it's a long swim from the Mexican border to Hawaii. Not having to deal with millions of illegal immigrants swamping public hospitals allows Hawaii to make a Statewide healthcare plan work.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Right this minute I am in PAIN. My primary caregiver called in a presciption for the problem causing it. Medicaid informed the pharmicist they won't pay for it, despite the fact it was on the list of medications covered when the Doctor ordered it. So I am still in PAIN!

Sorry to hear that you are not well, Forscher.

You are on Medicaid? Has this been a long, on-going illness? It must be if you are on Medicaid. My g/f who is on medicaid, had a reduction in her benefits once the Republicans got into office. So thank Bush for your problems instead of slamming Hillary.

I make too much money to receive any medical help from the government and the firm I recently started working for doesn't offer health insurance and I can't afford it on my salary. I am totally screwed if I get ill. Be glad that you have some assistance, even if you think it's not giving you all you need. There are many of us who do not have any help whatsover.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTW, Forscher, it seems to me that you are not against Socialized medicine since you are a recipient of Medicaid. You seem upset because you can't get the medicine that you need. If we had an actual program in place, I doubt that it would be much like Medicaid. Even if it were, IMO, any health care is better than none. I am actually almost envious of you that you can at least get some help. I would love to be able to get some help paying for the medicines my doctor told me I should be taking.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I live in Washington State and our insurance system is about the worst in the country. Several major insurance companies moved out of state because of the insane regulations here.

Insurance is ridiculously expensive for the average person. We have a big deductible, major medical only, policy, and it is over $500 a month for the two of us. If you are self employed, it's almost impossible to find anything, let alone affordable. We are hoping to stay healthy until we can qualify for Medicare, Medicaid.

My parents both have those (Dad passed away in January) and I think they (Medicare and Medicaid) are a wonderful thing. They never have to pay for anything, and the benefits they get are wonderful. It's all covered for them.

I am all for socialized medicine. It might cost us a bit more, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be $500 a month.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Whats interesting about the national health care issue is that more and more CEO's in the US are looking at national health care as a solution to their problems especially regarding retiree health care. The financial liabilities are staggering. Shifting these liabilities from the private sector to the public sector would be a boon for many companies (think about GM and the $1,000-$1,500 added cost per vehicle to cover employee/retiree benefits). Competitivness would improve, sales would go up, and executive pay would sky rocket as market share gains and stock prices rise.

The challenge of applying universal coverage in the States (in my opinion) is population. While residents of Canada and the UK might be thrilled about their health care systems, Canada has 32,000,000 residents and the UK has 60,000,000 residents while the US has 300,000,000 residents. Whatever challenges Canada and the UK had in implementing and operating their health care systems, the US will have 5-10 times those very challenges plus a number of challenges that are uniquely American.

On a personal level, I do have outstanding coverage through my employer (for now anyways). I doubt that the level of care I enjoy today would stay the same, much less improve, if national health care were implemented. For that reason I am skeptical about national health care. Perhaps if the plan were implemented in a manner that everyone from the President to local City Council members and from Bill Gates to the homeless guy living under a bridge somewhere all had to use the same system (fill out the same forms, stand in the same lines, recieve the same great or crappy care depending on points of view), I might get on board. Otherwise the health care system in the States would stay the same except far more people would be recieving less than adequate care (including me) while the haves and the connected would scarcely be aware that national health care even existed.

• Agent Socrates
    Agent Socrates

From the header on the website....."Quality, Affordable Health Care is your Right!".............

Since when?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit