Nearly 70 Jehovah's Witnesses Injured

by Kenneson 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This story comes out of Hammond, Indiana. Two buses carrying some 109 Witnesses were involved in an accident that left scores with minor injuries. The first bus rear ended an SUV; the second bus rear ended the first. 15 passengers checking out of their hotel rooms asked to be taken back to hospitals.

See "Dozens hurt when busess, SUV collide in Indiana"

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/236C51DD3C54F563862571C200109C32?Open

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The link didnt work for me....but it reminds me of when the Twin Towers came down. The JWs said that the JWs who were killed in the towers werent regular in field service and meeting attendance and THATS why they died!

Somebody on that bus wasnt turning in their time I betcha.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2006/08/06/news/lake_county/0b6b4cbeaa67ba62862571c1007ee983.txt
    Some bus riders return to hospital
    HAMMOND: No charges filed against drivers in crash on Interstate 80/94BY LAURI HARVEY KEAGLE

[email protected]

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Sunday, August 6, 2006 12:09 AM CDT

About 15 passengers of tour buses involved in a Friday night crash on the Borman Expressway returned to local hospitals Saturday morning.

Hammond ambulances were called to the Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn around 11:30 a.m. Saturday when guests who'd been involved in the crash on Interstate 80/94 the night before requested additional medical attention, an employee of the hotel confirmed.
    The request for ambulances came as hotel employees were attempting to get the crash victims checked out of their rooms, the employee said.

Information on the health complaints of the passengers and where they were taken was not available from Hammond Fire Department personnel who handled the Saturday ambulance call.

Indiana State Police said the accident about 7:45 p.m. Friday on eastbound Interstate 80 near Calumet Avenue involved a sport utility vehicle and two charter buses operated by Show Me Coaches, of Columbia, Mo.

The buses were carrying 109 Jehovah's Witnesses on a trip to Brooklyn, N.Y.

Both charter buses were in the left lane when Mihailo Dobrich, 70, of Merrillville, hit the brakes on his 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Dobrich's vehicle was then hit from the rear by one of the buses, driven by Richard Jones, 59, of St. Louis, Mo. Jones' bus was then hit from the rear by the second charter bus, driven by Charles Burrale, 55, of Belleville.

None of the three drivers were injured in the collision, police said, nor were they ticketed.

State police said 45 bus passengers were taken to The Community Hospital in Munster, St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago, Methodist Hospitals Northlake in Gary and St. Margaret Mercy Healthcare Centers in Hammond.

Prior to the Saturday call to the Best Western for patients wishing to return to the hospital, representatives from Community, St. Catherine and St. Margaret hospitals confirmed all of the passengers treated at their facilities had been released.

Indiana State Police said the most serious injuries were the loss of two front teeth, a complaint of back and neck pain and possibly a separated shoulder.

Calls seeking more information from Methodist Hospitals Northlake in Gary were not returned Saturday, but state police said the most seriously injured patient transported to that hospital had a strained neck.

The first bus had an estimated $30,000 in damage to the front and rear, and the second bus had an estimated $85,000 in heavy front-end damage. Dobrich's SUV sustained less than $1,000 in damage to its rear bumper.

Police said the bus company planned to send additional buses to Hammond so the tourists could continue their trip. Representatives from Show Me Coaches could not be reached for comment.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I don't know why the link is not working. But you can find the story by conducting a search on the site. Just put in "Dozens hurt when buses, SUV collide in Indiana."

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I found the article but didnt notice that they were dubs.

Thats sad. Presumably they were coming or going from an assembly.

I was on a coach crash ohce coming back from as assembly in Manchester. A coach rear ended us in fog on the M62. I was sat at the back with all the kids waving to the cars behind, so I got a face full of glass and had to spend a week in hospital.

All the other dubs sued to coach company and got compensation for whiplash. I was the only one hospitalised and dad refused to sue because he said 'it wasnt the drivers fault' so it would be unchristian to sue.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

109 people on 2 buses is a lot by UK standards . I am glad nobody seems to have been too seriously hurt. So the first coach shunted another braking vehicle and then the second coach rammed the first coach.. Sounds like clear bad driving by the coach drivers, I believe they would be charged with an offence over here.

Katy , that was a bad experience .. The worst we ever had was a coach breakdown . (those were the days!)

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Now that's what I call a good start!

Does that mean that Jah does NOT hover over every Dub who is driving down the road? If so, then I need to print this for my PO who said this is why we don't need to be concerned about the Fri night School deep in red-neck beer drinking territory, over an hour away from the house that we need to travel what is statistically the most dangerous road in the US to get to.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

wow i thought they must be hurt bad if they turned into steaks!

glad no one was hurt any more seriously than a strained neck.

• luna2
    luna2

LMAO @ candidly! That thought briefly passed through my mind also.

Not that I'm rejoicing that a bunch of dubs were in an accident. I wonder how many will sue?

• choosing life
    choosing life

I saw this on the news last night. This was a chartered bus trip to Bethel and Niagara Falls. They interviewed a man who said more buses were being sent for those who wanted to continue the trip and others were being helped to return home because they were hurt and did not wish to continue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit