Why call themselves "Christian"?

by poppers 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bubble
    bubble

I always thought when I was a jw that not enough emphasis was put on Jesus and that the main focus was always Jehovah.

Often people in the ministry would accuse us of not believing in Jesus.

I can see where the confusion came from.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    The Witnesses told me they are "Christian" because they do as Jesus did, that is, go door to door and solicit

Where does the Bible say Jesus went from door to door?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well through the last 100+ years the WTS has gone from the standard beliefs about the diety of Jesus to him being something else.

It would have been impossible for the early WTS to preach to Americans about a religion that did not include Jesus. The initial population they were soliciting was Christian so they woul dhave to claim to be Christian as well or have no one listen. As a marketing scheme it worked. As the ranks grew the interpretations of who Christ was evolved to what we now see.

Rutherford was about the bottom line and that was always the Almighty $$$$$. He had no problem whatsoever with the old bait-and-switch form of salesmanship

• poppers
    poppers
    The initial population they were soliciting was Christian so they woul dhave to claim to be Christian as well or have no one listen. As a marketing scheme it worked. As the ranks grew the interpretations of who Christ was evolved to what we now see.

Thanks Lady Lee, that makes sense to me. And thanks to the others for their input.

• heathen
    heathen

I thought for a long time they considered themselves as "spiritual jews". To them the only ones in the christian covenant are the 144k and the great crowd are merely as foreign proselytes were to ancient Israel .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit