Why call themselves "Christian"?

by poppers 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

Never having been a JW I don't quite understand why they call themselves "Christians". If Jesus is not god and is not to be worshipped as such, but is something "lesser", then it doesn't make sense to think of themselves as Christians. To claim to be Christian, then, seems to me to make themselves hypocrites from the very beginning. At least traditional Christianity claims that Jesus was god, and so calling themselves "Christian" makes sense.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It's likely that no two Christian believe exactly the same.

It's all a mind menagerie. At one end Jesus is but a son of his greater "Father" deity. At the other end of the mind numbing spectrum Jesus is EVERYTHING.

It all depends on how your thoughts interpret other peoples thoughts (the Bible). It's all mental masturbation. You have to suspend the actual reality of life, and instead place your attention on a book. It's all insanity, IMHO. There are no rules other than the ones you make up.

j

• poppers
    poppers

Thanks JT. Nice to see ya.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

You, dear friend, are likely the only one . Always nice to see you tooo.

j

• poppers
    poppers
    You, dear friend, are likely the only one

Not a chance -

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    You, dear friend, are likely the only one

not true........I am always glad to see your posts...

purps

• poppers
    poppers
    not true........I am always glad to see your posts...

purps

See JT? People know a good thing when they see it .

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Witnesses told me they are "Christian" because they do as Jesus did, that is, go door to door and solicit.
    I asked my Witness dad why, if Witnesses say they DO as Jesus did, why aren't they Jewish Rabbis like Jesus was, observe the Jewish festivals like Jesus did, pilgrimage to Jerusalem for Passover like Jesus did, and preach in Jewish Synagogs like Paul did?
    I never got an answer . . . typical.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

What??? Why on earth does someone have to believe Jesus is God for them to be a Christian?? Your assumption of course is that only Trinitarians have the right to call themselves Christians. Poppycock.

• Khufu
    Khufu

You said it. To JWs trinitarians are not Christians, and to trinitarians JWs are not Christians. More of the same sectarianism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit