What impact did the internet have on your decision to leave the JW's?

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

On another thread, a CO says that sites like these don't have much impact on their numbers.

Personally I didn't leave because of this site or any other XJW site.

I was unhappy and felt that something was wrong and this site confirmed what I felt.

How about you?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

none. i was out almost 10 year before i went on the internet to look for ex jws to chat w/. i picked this site because the others seem very harsh and filled w/ angry people. this one seemed slightly less volatile. however, i have to admit it does have its days where after looking at the battles going on b/w the various people, i choose not to look at the site again for a day or two.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Huge

• choosing life
    choosing life

I left because I knew they had too many things so very wrong. But the internet was extremely important in giving me the reasons behind those feelings. It is how I found Ray Franz's books which confirmed what I felt was disturbing, but didn't know the truth about behind the scenes. And the internet is my lifeblood to keep in touch with others that feel this way too. No one here in the flesh will talk to me with an open mind. The conversations I have with family still in about the Bible are truly mindnumbing.

• elliej
    elliej

If I had access to the internet when I found out that my boyfriend (now husband) was studying, neither one of us would have gotten sucked in.

It was instrumental in getting us out, it is where I get all my information, or find out where to get the information I need. Instrumental.

And if it wasn't really making a difference they wouldn't be making such a fuss about it.

• montana96
    montana96

We had benn unhappy as jws for some time so the internet was a tool used to confirm what we already suspected,that we werent in the truth!

I must say what I found out through the internet blew our minds away and we felt stupid that we never investigated things properly before the days of the internet. Thats why the society is so against the internet,everyday people like ourselves,are finding out some interesting pieces of information that we may never have known about.

One door opens,one closes and the path to happiness and freedom is out there and I thak the internet for helping us find that path

Cheers Mercedes x

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It didn't have much impact on deciding to leave, but on deciding to stay out, it was huge!

Once I had the information in front of me that prooved their deception, and the fact that they had stolen generations of families lives and placed them into servitude, that they protected their stupid name rather than innocent children, that they needlessly destroyed families...

Especially after reading some research presented by Leolaia (whom I adore), it was all over.

Jean

• Arthur
    Arthur

Very little influence, if any at all. I think I had left the organization mentally long before I left it physically. I decided I just couldn't play the organization's games anymore; long before I even looked at any anti-JW site.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty

It didn't. It only helped me to see that the WTS really is imperfect, as I expected.

Maybe another question to ask would be this:

What impact did the members of a forum such as this, have on your decision to leave the JW's?

My answer would be : it almost had a great impact on my leaving... until one single post of encouragement. I love the community I see, but encouragement is just about nonexistent (towards the JW's).

• caligirl
    caligirl

None because my conscience goaded me into leaving a few years before I was even connected to the net. Nor had I read any books. No outside influence caused my exit, but it has certainly been great to find a few communities of people who can relate to my early life experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit