Is There Anything That You Still Believe In Because of the Witnesses?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I still don't believe in hellfire. I think astrology and palm reading is ridiculous. That's a couple of things that I know I got from being a JW......what about you???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I know that Rocco, my bird, has a fluffy bum because I've seen it. Everything else is open to speculation.

W

• minimus
    minimus

See....FF, being a JW at one time was helpful after all!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I am with you on hellfire, astrology and palm reading. Anything "occult."
    Since I was raised JW (but never baptized) I have not bowed down to a statue or lit candles or used prayer beads. Always looked like unnecessary foolishness to me. Still does.
    But then I also believe(d) Nessie is a family of plesiosaurs who got trapped in the loch after the flood waters receded!
    ~Sue

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

This is a good question that my husband and I discuss regularly. I have to fight hard to resist the "if some of it's crap, it's probably all crap" mentality. He is of the position that many of the teachings are probably accurate, but that the borg is so tainted by man-made rules that it's impossible to take anything good from them. It's like eating broccolli covered in feces: it may good at the core but is covered with too much sh** to get any benefit. And who wants to eat sh**?!?!?

Not Me!!!

Swam

• minimus
    minimus

SWAM, your husband sounds very wise. I don't believe in the trinity either.

• Gopher
    Gopher

What they taught about the weakness of man's religions still sticks with me.

I believe much religion (including the JW's) is a snare and a racket. I believe religion makes people behave unreasonably and so pours fuel on the fire of war.

I believe that the hellfire and triune-God teachings are figments of very active imagination.

I still have that left-over icky feeling about blood transfusions, even though logically I know the JW's doctrine on that subject is way off base.

• minimus
    minimus

GOPHER, I wish you would post more!!!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Interesting question, I had to really think about that one. Nope, I can't say that there is one thing that I have kept from being raised by dubs, I rejected the whole mindset lock stock and two smoking barrels.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Nothing at all. I am pretty close to being an atheist now, Being duped so completely by the jws has shattered my faith in religion as a whole, not just the wts version of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit