JW says Jehovah's People aren't Brainwashed

by Honesty 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

Well from what I understand a cult is something that expects you to follow some man. You must give up your individual thought processes and just go with what you are told to think. This way you are released from individual responsibility. Some people like this about cults. They don't want to be responsible for their own actions.

I see no evidence of this among Jehovah's people. We certainly never ask for "blind faith" as I saw on TV that one religious group was advocating.

In fact we spend a great deal of time reasoning on the scriptures with people, convincing by reasonable argument rather than by "just accept what I say heretic!" Certain other religious groups seem to me to expect you to just accept the dogma they preach without taking the time to conclusively prove it from the Bible.

We are ALWAYS told that we are responsible for our own actions. We never get to give up that responsibility.

We do follow a man I suppose. Jesus was a man. Of course he no longer is, so maybe that doesn't count. But of course, he never expected people to just follow him or listen based on the force of his personality. In fact he fully expected that it would be the exceptional person who would be willing to follow him based on the things one would have to sacrifice and give up in order to become a Christian.

Now as for the point about "brainwashing". A brainwashed person is normally torn down and then built up again. The military is a good example. They have brainwashing down to a science. They make you feel like a "maggot" a worthless nothing, out of shape, lazy, no discipline, no ability to do anything pretty much while putting you through a boot camp where you have to shout "Yes SIR" and you have to be exhausted physically and mentally.

Then after a few weeks of this and you have endured it and become stronger physically as a result you begin to be allowed a little pride in your "improvement" as a person. Then you are built up to believe that you are an "elite" force of fighters who must stick with your comrades at arms because you are "defending" them and they, you. But you are only "something" because WE made you something...

You see the pattern. You are worthless and nothing, until they mold you in the pattern they want you to be in, and then suddenly you are not worthless anymore, you are special and better than others.

We as Christians should try and remember to have humility. We should remember that we are sinners, and that only by Jehovah's mercy and love are we anything. We are not "special" except that perhaps we are better informed about what the Bible teaches and so we are capable of teaching others. But I don't see the traditional brainwashing techniques going on here. I don't see us making new recruits feel like worthless "maggots" until they have mastered certain discipline. And I don't see anyone thinking that they are exceptional or special people once they have mastered anything. We are all still learners, we are all still sinners. We all of us will inherit everlasting life only through God's mercy and the merit of Jesus' sacrifice for us. Our faith and our acting in harmony with that faith will perhaps help us through, but nothing is certain. All of us who may think we are standing should beware that we do not fall. That is from the Bible.

Do our minds become washed? In some ways yes. Our minds become cleaner. But not brainwashed in the sense that someone else has molded our thinking and taught us what to think. We look only to Jehovah to tell us in his word what is right and what is wrong.

If that is "brainwashed" then I'm all for it!

What do you think?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    Well from what I understand a cult is something that expects you to follow some man. You must give up your individual thought processes and just go with what you are told to think. This way you are released from individual responsibility. Some people like this about cults. They don't want to be responsible for their own actions.

substitute " MAN" for " ORGANIZATION" and maybe she'll get it. back it up with the many watchtower articles telling its members to avoid "independent thinking"!

• freebird2000
    freebird2000

My experience was nothing but brainwashing,but sadly part of the brainwashing is being convinced that you are not.I wonder what would happen if there was absolutely not one piece of literature from the W.T.?I don't remember ever doing anything without the study arcticles. I don't know,I like reading my Bible praying, and mixing with other believers. I can live without all that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s were told to forget the WBTS 1975 prediction of Armaggedon,and they did.Thats brain washing..."Jehovah`s people are`nt brain washed??"..They were brainwashed to say that!...LOL!!...OUTLAW

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I'll pull my 1963 AWAKE when I get back tomight.

There is a definative article on how Communists "brainwash" their followers and why we know that JWs are not.

I keeed you not

• moshe
    moshe

There are many degrees of brainwashing. Getting out of the JW system of thought control does not give you freedom, if you still depend on others to do your thinking. Many former JW's have switched to a Christian church or some quasi Jesus faith without any real research- it just feels good to them. Each person has to be responsible for his own actions, if there is ever a judgement day before a supreme God. But, personally, I have had no direct contact from God and have no more direct knowledge of who God is, than a hunter gather knew 10,000 years ago.We know what God isn't today, but are no closer to who he is. Religion is for the most part beneficial to society and Governments in the prevention of anarchy and the protection of rich peoples estates from the poor.

peace,

Moshe

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

As a JW I used to joke about having a brain washed clean by the Watchtower Society but now I know it was just "incultcation"

• Sherwood
    Sherwood

JW brains are washed cleaned from WHAT, the WORLD (dominate mentality ie, *This World* is the world to deal with in the future).

So, JW's are not so-called brainwashed in the schematic verbage of typical agnostic/atheist propaganda (a dominate form of brainwashing).

Liberal/Conservative persuasions are both biblical.

The WT has an aspect to tell with powerful persuasions, the individual JW has another -- perhaps. To assert a *brainwashed* element of this rational by the individual JW AS IF GREATER then a persuasive argument (by the organized obedient JW) is ludicrious!

If you were brainwashed, so be it. You have growned to what? Maturity or insults?

If you are brainwashed into being a agnostic/atheist type, so be it. You have growned into what U desire.

Therefore, U (D self) hate JW's and call them brainwashed.

We got to laugh at OURselves sometime, why not this time.

Love Ya,
    Sherwood

• AlanF
    AlanF

That blinded JW cultist wrote:

: Well from what I understand a cult is something that expects you to follow some man.

That definition is taken right from The Watchtower. Of course The Watchtower will define "cult" in such a way as to excuse the Watchtower cult from the definition. "We don't follow a man! We follow Jehovah and Jesus!" Duh. They forget that the Governing Body is comprised of men who demand absolute allegiance and complete subservience from their JW followers.

: You must give up your individual thought processes and just go with what you are told to think. This way you are released from individual responsibility. Some people like this about cults. They don't want to be responsible for their own actions.

A damned good description of the JW cult mindset.

: I see no evidence of this among Jehovah's people.

Cult members never see themselves as cult members.

: We certainly never ask for "blind faith" as I saw on TV that one religious group was advocating.

Of course they do. The typical thing is that a "Bible student" will come up with some difficult problems for the JW "teacher". The JW will usually try to persuade student to put the difficulties aside, saying, "When you have more knowledge of other things, these difficulties will be resolved." Of course, the JW hopes that the person will give in to the lie that the Governing Body speaks for God and should not be questioned, and that the student will by osmosis absorb the never-stated JW teaching that asking difficult questions is grounds for dismissal. If the student is braindead enough to swallow all that, well and good. If not, the student quits and is saved from a terrible fate.

An article detailing how JWs subvert one's thinking processes can be found here:

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/thinking-ability-and-watchtower.html

AlanF

• Sherwood
    Sherwood

Hi, AlanF... I always admire your work at this site...

Dicker all U will at your progaganda of brainwashing suspiciousness, all I am sayin at this time is TRUTH is not in U as it is not in ME totally yet. I pray we seek the same results of peace & harmony. Nevertheless, Jehovah God knows this is not achieved without UNITY.

Do tell the difference between UNITY and BRAINWASHING within D ALMIGHTY HAND (God's POWER) in your atheistic/agnostic soul *minute* opimion concerning this question we God Gifted humans are propelled to finish the QUEST.

Who is the demon within or without or just tantamount to BLAville

Love Ya,
    Sherwoo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit