Ear ache...help!

by schne_belly 20 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

..........if you try the heat be sure to allow the ear time to drain any nastiness, lay so gravity can help ya ;P

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

The itchiness would be an outer ear infection (otitis externa) but I think you could have that without itchiness. However with the muffled stuff, it could be an infection in the middle ear (otitis media) the common one that people seek antibiotics for.

However, 80% of these do not require antibiotics, so that's why they're hesitant to prescribe them. (So 80% go away on their own.) Plus now that we prescribe too often, there are the superinfections that are resistant to antibiotics.

So I agree, try ibuprofen and rest, heat/cold if you like. But if they look in it and see it is bulging and red in the inner ear, they may prescribe something, or they may say wait a few days. But have it checked out, especially with all that pain--not to mention the horrible experience of the deafness!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

You can take this for what it is worth.

I watched a program on TV a couple of weeks ago. A RN was talking about home remedies for summer problems. She said the difference between an ear infection and swimmers ear - with swimmers ear the outside of the ear itself will be very painful to the touch, you don't usually get that with an ear infection.

If it is swimmers ear you can mix equal parts vinegar and rubbing alcohol and put a few drops in the ear. The rubbing alcohol will dry up the water and the vinegar is antibacterial.

When I've had water in my ear from swimming that doesn't drain on its own I have uesed a few drops of rubbing alcohol, but that was before I had any problems such as what you are experiencing.

BB

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Just go "Blow it out your ear!"

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I have three words for you, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Ok, four.

W.Once

• blondie
    blondie

If you have pain and throbbing in your ear, go to the doctor. I am ear infection expert. Do you have a fever?

Blondie

• schne_belly
    schne_belly
    Do you have a fever?

I don't think so....but I've been feeling a bit groggy all day?! I tried putting vinegar in it at lunch time, but it didn't help?!

• blondie
    blondie

You might have an inner ear infection and short of punching a hole in your ear drum and pouring it in (I don't recommend that) there is not much you can do....possibly antibiotics may help. I have prescribed drops that I use too. I have an ear infection about once every 3 months.........................

Blondie

• schne_belly
    schne_belly
    I have an ear infection about once every 3 months.........................

Ohhh my Blondie....then you really ARE the ear infection expert. Do you go to the doctor each time you get one? Or just use your drops?

• blondie
    blondie

Especially, if I have pain I go.......otherwise if it is just a little tightness I wait. I have a rare situation....but adult infections are nothing to goof around with. You may end up partially deaf like me.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit