Local JW elder can't be bothered to fill in the blanks

by Jankyn 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Okay, this is a hoot.

I go through the press releases for a local media outlet. In this morning's batch was a "Post-convention Release" from a local JW re the "Deliverance at Hand" convention at the Cow Palace in SF last weekend.

It's a template from the WTS, but this bozo didn't fill in the right blanks!

Postconvention Release xxxx xx, 2006
    Witnesses thrilled with response to convention
    [CONVENTION CITY]-- After three weeks of building anticipation and three days of hearing Scriptural presentations at the 2006 “Deliverance at Hand!” District Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses, those leaving the [XYZ Arena] in [CONVENTION CITY] were filled with joy.
    Local Witnesses were thrilled with what they consider outstanding results from their efforts to invite their neighbors and the general public to hear uplifting Bible promises of deliverance. A peak attendance of [6,700] had listened attentively to encouraging Bible-based talks. [“We were extremely pleased with this year’s turnout,”] remarked [Peter Simons], one of the convention’s organizers. [“We feel that people recognize a need for wholesale changes for the benefit of mankind, and we knew that these Biblical presentations would show that Jehovah God is going to fill that need.”]
    The public discourse “Deliverance by God’s Kingdom Is at Hand!” was presented on Sunday, emphasizing scriptures used by the Witnesses to prove that deliverance for mankind will not come from technology, political rulers, advanced education, or even the world’s religions. Witnesses feel that only Jehovah God can deliver mankind, using his Son, Christ Jesus, to destroy the wicked. They also feel that Christ Jesus is now ruling as the King of God’s Kingdom, a real government that millions pray for when they pray the Lord’s Prayer.
    Three weeks ago, local Witnesses embarked on a campaign to invite everyone in the area to attend the convention by leaving with them a colorful invitation. This was part of a worldwide campaign by the Witnesses to advertise the program. [“We wanted to heighten awareness of the convention because we view the message as of vital interest to all,” Simons] added. [“People need to know that God is soon going to end all wickedness and suffering, and that calls for urgent action on our part.”]
    The Witnesses were particularly delighted to welcome [120] who joined their ranks by getting baptized in an ordination ceremony on Saturday. Witnesses view baptism as one of God’s requirements for salvation.
    The three-day event ended Sunday at with prolonged applause, a show of appreciation for the convention. [Simons] summarized the event in this way: [“The campaign, the program, the facility, the public’s response—all these elements helped make the convention a huge success, bringing praise to Jehovah God.”]
    Local Contact: [John A. Elder, telephone: (000) 000-0000]
    (Portions in brackets and underlined are to be adjusted for each district convention.)
    [*NOTE: These and similar statements are not to be copied word for word, but wording giving this idea should be used.]

There's WTS letterhead included, but I couldn't cut-and-paste that...besides, I have to get back to work.

Question: How dumb can you get? Answer: Ask an elder!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

well thats just too funny! lol

• xjwms
    xjwms

OOppps

• Honesty
  • damselfly
    damselfly

So he couldn't be bothered to read it himself?! Too, too funny.

Dams

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Well, it doesn't look all that complicated to me...

Maybe this spirit - appointed man had been at the spirits before he set about this so - obviously tricky task.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here is how the story should have been edited:

Witnesses disappointed with response to convention

Local Witnesses were surprised with what they consider limited results from their efforts to invite their neighbors and the general public to hear Watchtower threats of the world’s impending doom. A peak attendance of [6,700] snoozed through discouraging talks dreamed up at Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn, New York . [“We were expecting this year’s low turnout,”] remarked [Peter Out], one of the convention’s organizers. [“We feel that people recognize a need for wholesale changes for the benefit of mankind, but we have no idea how that will happen..”]

The public discourse “Deliverance by God’s Kingdom Is at Hand!” was presented on Sunday, emphasizing scriptures used by the Witnesses to prove that everybody outside their group has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. Witnesses feel that only Jehovah God can deliver mankind, using his Son, Christ Jesus, to destroy the wicked, whom they define as those disobedient to Watchtower law. They also feel that Christ Jesus is now ruling as the King of God’s Kingdom, a real government that millions ignore even though they regularly pray the Lord’s Prayer or the “Our Father”.

Three weeks ago, local Witnesses embarked on a campaign to dare everyone in the area to attend the convention by leaving with them a colorful invitation. This was part of a worldwide campaign by the Witnesses to advertise the program. [“We wanted to heighten awareness of the convention because we view the message as of vital interest to all,” Simons] added. [“People need to know that God is soon going to wipe them out if they don’t read the Watchtower and attend the Kingdom Hall.”]

The Witnesses were particularly delighted to welcome [120] who got suckered in and symbolized that by getting baptized in an ordination ceremony on Saturday. Witnesses view baptism as one of God’s requirements for salvation.

The three-day event ended Sunday at with prolonged applause, because the convention was finally over. [Peter Out] summarized the event in this way: [“The campaign, the program, the facility, the public’s response—all brought wonderful donations to the Watchtower Society and instilled a sense of superiority in our loyal members and brought praise to our organization..”]

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Did ya'all notice the optimistic baptism figure? Has anyone heard of 120 being baptized at a DC this year? Maybe in some of the bigger districts, but for most, I think not.

I just wanted to share my delight with ya'all. I can just imagine this poor, overworked fellow saying, "Okay, last task of the oh-so-light burden that the Faithful and Discreet Slave has laid on me is to send off the post-convention press release." Hits send. "Ah, done at last. I'm takin' my shoes off!"

What's even better is that the email this was attached to went to every media outlet in the Sacramento metro area. Yep, all of 'em.

Although I kinda feel sorry for the poor guy. Nope, guess that was just gas.

• grey matters
    grey matters

ROTFLMAO! That's hilareous! Thanks. Made my day.

• Grace
    Grace

Thanks, Gopher! You put a smile on my face this evening!

Grace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit