Tarot readers

by PrimateDave 17 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I'm new to Tarot. I just got a Hanson-Roberts (similar to Rider-Waite-Smith) Tarot deck last week, and I have been getting familiar with the cards. I also got a book, The Complete Tarot by Teresa Michelsen.
    The book suggests doing simple readings to get started. So, I decided to do a card-a-day reading for myself. I write down a question and then say it out loud while shuffling the deck. I then take a card from the top and turn it over.
    Last night my question was: "Should I formally disassociate myself from Jehovah’s Witnesses by letter in the month of August?" (Note: I was born in a Witness family and baptised in '83. I'm 38 years old and my sign is Aries. I have not entered my correct birthdate in the profile for this forum. I'm currently about two months into a fade.)
    The card I got for this question was the Seven of Cups (not reversed). According to the LWB(Little White Book that comes with the deck), some of the keywords for this card are: Fantasy. Foolish whim. Wishful thinking.
    So, what do you Tarot readers out there think?
    Dave

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I've been doing cards for awhile and I don't think you can do a cold reading on a new deck and get an answer you should make a major decision on. If you want to PM me I can talk to you more about what that means, but I wouldn't worry about your "answer". Sometimes it takes awhile to get a feel for your cards.

Sherry

• target
    target

Dave

I play around with the Tarot, but I am also a big believer in gut feelings. My gut feeling concerning your question is a very strong NO. This is not the right time. I believe the card is telling you that you have wishful thinking concerning the letter, but either it will not benefit to do it now or it will be harmful to you to do it now. Patience. The time is not quite yet.

Target

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

One alternate impression I got from The Complete Tarot Reader was that the suit of Cups stands for months. Therefore: Seven of Cups = seven months.
    In the appendix of The Complete Tarot Reader: "In the sevens we choose our next challenge to focus on." "Sevens center around the idea of challenges, chosen by and for ourselves as part of our path toward personal mastery." Seven of Cups- "A challenge of values, emotions, dreams, or desires. Reaching a point in your life where you feel you can set your own goals, and trying to work out what those should be. Questioning the values your were raised with, and deciding for yourself what you believe in. Beginning to understand what drives your response to other people and your relationships, and learning how to choose positive life partners. Working through a childhood issue that has been blocking your progress in life. Giving up unproductive fantasies or dreams, and replacing them with dreams and hopes that are realistic and achievable."
    Like I said before, I'm just learning.
    Dave

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Magazine&Sub1Menu=Tarot&Sub2Menu=OshoZenTarot&Language=English takes a while to load

this is my pack of choice, theyre visually pleasing and pretty self explanatory. sometimes you just have to look around to find a pack that feels good and comfy to you.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

This may be a little O.T. to the original post, but the artwork inside of one of Marilyn Manson's albums had different members of the band on Tarot Cards. They looked so cool. I wonder if those cards exist somewhere.

• nelly136
  • Brigid
    Brigid

Dave,

I am way way way behind on my readings (my apologies to all who have pm'd me for readings--I am working on it). The 7 of cups can have a different meaning than just illusory/fantasy. What deck are you using? One of the main things to remember is the numerology esp. in regards to the question you asked. 7 is the number of spirituality. Time to leave off illusory spiritual pursuits and climb to that castle in the corner of many of the 7 of cups cards? A call to higher consciousness. Now what you must ask yourself in light of this (and by no means only) interpretation of this is what does officially da-ing yourself do for you? Only you can answer this. Is it necessary for your spiritual growth? Again, this is just one interpretation.

The 7 of cups for me in particular usually leaves off the usual reading of fantasy and has a very deep spiritual meaning for me. Your own interpretations and impressions will grow as you work with this wonderful medium.

Love and Light,

~Brigid

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I enjoyed reading about tarot cards in Michael Crichton's autobiography Travels. He experimented with the I Ching and Tarot and came to the conclusion that it was a way to help you get access to yourself, your subconscious. The Tarot is an ambiguous stimulus which calls for your subconscious to interpret. Thus, you answer your own question. Not unlike a Rorschach ink blot test. Interesting stuff.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I enjoyed reading about tarot cards in Michael Crichton's autobiography Travels. He experimented with the I Ching and Tarot and came to the conclusion that it was a way to help you get access to yourself, your subconscious. The Tarot is an ambiguous stimulus which calls for your subconscious to interpret. Thus, you answer your own question. Not unlike a Rorschach ink blot test. Interesting stuff.

I agree. The same sometimes comes from doodling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit