Jehovah Witnesses are not brainwashed...

by thecarpenter 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I am currently reading Steve Hassan's book on combating cult mind control and I came across a very interesting point about the difference between brainwashing and mind control.

Brainwashing is a coercive type of control in which a idea is forced on you with little choice. People who are brainwashed know they are being indoctrinated; their freedom is cut off. Although someone may be forced to accept a idea through physical abuse and fear induced by their jailers, when they are set free, they can usually discard the beliefs forced on them in short order.

Mind Control is more subtle and sophisticated in that the victim is many times unaware that they are being influenced by a perpetrator. In fact, the victim responds positively to what is done to him.

What I found so interesting is that the methods for mind control can be subtle and explained away or rationalized but when you are aware of what the signs are, then it is obvious.

Steve Hassan listed four things to look for in mind control (this is a brief summation)-

1. Behavior control - regulation of the individual physical reality (ex: rigid schedule for their members... there is always something to do whether it be indoctrination activities or rituals) A members actions are constantly reinforced by approval or disapproval by the leaders

2. Thought control - indoctrinating members thoroughly with group doctrine, new language system or loaded words and clichés, and thought-stopping techniques to keep their mind centered (members don't need to think for themselves, the group doctrine has all the answers; they also learn to block out any information which is critical of the group)

3. Emotional control - attempts to manipulate and narrow the range of a person's feelings. Guilt is probably the single most important emotional lever for producing conformity and compliance. Members are conditioned to always blame themselves so that they respond gratefully whenever a leader points out one of their shortcomings. The second tool cults use is fear. This is used two ways. First is the creation of an outside enemy who is persecuting you: Satan is trying to get you, your friends and family is trying to mislead you, psychiatrist try to twist you, etc.. The second way fear is used is the terror of discovery and punishment of by the leaders. Loyalty and devotion are the most highly respected emotions. Confession and phobia indoctrination are also powerful tools in emotional control.

4. Information control - Cult generated propaganda or material is pushed on the members and they are constantly encouraged to absorb this type of material. Anything or anyone critical of the group especially former members is shunned. As one rises in the cult, inner

When I was reading this material, I realized that I was unaware of these types of influences being used on me. The thing that appealed to me in the beginning when I first started associating with the witnesses was the way the bible was used so constantly and in a convincing way. They seemed to have answers to everything in life and although I wasn't convinced on everything they taught, I figured it was close enough. Also another thing that appealed to me was the affection I saw in the congregation amongst the brothers and sisters and perhaps the attention I was getting, it was very alluring (love bombing). Of course, not everyone was that way but there is enough of it to get me to join up. It was only after joining up that I started to have serious questions about the 'truth' that these mind control techniques started kinking in. I really believe that if I had access to the information I found on the internet 20 years ago, I would not have joined the witnesses. The emotional control this group held on me was quite strong. Eventually it was my willingness to face my fears and really investigate the society, come what may, that helped me to break the mind control the society had on me. I look back at my experience and get a little angry that I allowed myself to be so easily manipulated.

Were you folks aware of the mind control techniques being used on you and what finally made you open your eyes?

• serendipity
    serendipity

I felt the WTS was controlling but didn't view it as mind control.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

theCarpenter:

I didn't know I was under mind control there. Part of their mind control is they make you think you are as close to happy as you can get.

I remember the day I decided to finally break the hold. I accidentally stumbled upon a book at the book store that was about secret societies and JW's were mentioned a lot. So, I sat down at the computer and decided to research. My husband told me, "If you go down this road there is no turning back." Well, I went down that road. And very happy I did.

I thought I was brainwashed. The mind control is worse.

Thank you for posting your findings.

Loruhamah

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

It is interesting to examine the control the organization had on many of us (and to some point, still has on some of us). Many times I can see the fear in posters when the elders come calling. To be fair, not everyone is as deeply affected by the societies controls as others. I remember a few months ago when I picked up Raymond Franz's book 'Crisis of Conscience", my hands were shaking. (how that for fear based emotional control ).

Glad to be out of the bOrg and listening to rock band like guns n' roses

• Scully
    Scully
    Brainwashing is a coercive type of control in which a idea is forced on you with little choice. People who are brainwashed know they are being indoctrinated; their freedom is cut off. Although someone may be forced to accept a idea through physical abuse and fear induced by their jailers, when they are set free, they can usually discard the beliefs forced on them in short order.

Perhaps this does apply in the case of children of JWs. They have no choice in whether or not to accept the indoctrination. They hear at meetings that their parents are required to "inculcate" God's Laws™ into their children. They have to go along with it in order to survive. I know some who were subjected to physical abuse if they rebelled in the slightest. Also, if you look at any WT publication that has children as its target audience, the fear induction themes (the devil, the demons, Armageddon, destruction, etc) are rampant.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I remember a few months ago when I picked up Raymond Franz's book 'Crisis of Conscience", my hands were shaking. (how that for fear based emotional control ).

Oh yeah, the feeling is familiar. Before I had my own crisis of conscience, whenever I would see the words "Jehovah's Witnesses" or anything negative about the dubs, my face would become quite warm. It was a curious mixture of feeling indignant, embarrassed, and nervous, all at once. Glad that feeling's gone....

• DannyHaszard
  • DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Analyze till ya paralyze the cult leaders just lie a lot

Good discussion of JW leaders as psychopaths
  • anewme
    anewme

Looking back I think the turning point for me was after I returned from a weekend with the Landmark forums. My husbands whole family attended and insisted it would be good for us to go too. Has anyone else done the Landmark forums designed to help you break free from old stuck ideas and live a life of choice?

Anyway, its on the lines of the Anthony Robbins courses. Life is about choice and determination and such.
    I came home and determined I was not going to continue to live in the poverty we endured. I would get a part time job! AND I WOULD WORK OUT AND LOSE WEIGHT AND GET INTO SHAPE! I would grab life by the horns and have what I wanted. I was soooooo focused!

This outside influence weakend the messages I was getting from the KH which were old and memorized and I was bored out of my skull after 35 years of it. I began to question all my reasons for joining the JW in the first place. Why did I choose the husband I did? Why did we live in the old house that we did?
    Why was I looking 60 years old when I was only 40?

Now I would choose what I wanted!!! What is wrong with that? Others in the congregation seemed like that is what they were doing! Why were my husband and I sacrificing our lives away for people who I did not even consider personal friends? Alot of questioning went through my mind after I was set free at Landmark.

• KW13
    KW13

the way it cut off outside influences was always at the back of my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit