former bethelites get paid

by dvw 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

The following is a conversation that would happen if I were still a brainwashed woman student:

LS the study asks: K*****, why are these newly former bethelites getting money from the society?

Conductor replies: (all quiet since this is a touchy subject) "Because it's through jehovah's spirit directed organization that these blessed people be given some help in order to have their basic needs met, Larissa. This is the way jehovah's people take care of each other and provide. We don't let anyone go without. We have love for one another and what better way to show it then to make sure his people, particularly those who have served in bethel(jdub grin when it comes to bethelites/gods) are provided for. After all, we are not meant to seek material things, but to continue to seek jehovah's guidance through his earthly organization and live forever on his paradise earth, because He is the one true god!"

• wednesday
    wednesday

$450 a month? well, if you had worked on a minimal paying job for several years that is approx what you might receive in social security benefits .(more or less)

So you are saying they are publically asking for the publishers to contribute $8 a month or just $ 8 each?

• blaid
    blaid

who can live on 450 a month, especially when they have such strong beliefs, that they wont work if it interferes with meetings?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Does NY require some sort of severance pay for laid off employees? If so the recent court ruling that found bethelites to be "employees" might have something to do with it.

• anewme
    anewme

Are the payments so the former bethelites do not apply for federal unemployment?

• wiegel
    wiegel

I know this has been asked here before, but isn't there some way to compel the society to give an accounting for where all the money goes. The congregation "Accounts Report" is useless information that makes some "think" they are being given this information. Because beyond that level, why would you even think of questioning it?

For the past few years, I have been working with different non-profit, some faith-based (very loose designation), groups who actively DO SOMETHING for people in need. They post their annual reports and pie-charts for public examination - how much to infrastructure, how much for advertising, how much for fund-raising, etc, and finally HOW MUCH TO HELP THE PEOPLE, and HOW they helped. Why isn't the WT subjected to similar scrutiny? How can they possibly be considered a non-profit charitable organization? They only take care of their own, and that only as long as it suits the group. Their concern and care for any others only goes so far as trying to get them to join the "group".

During Katrina, the report was that the most assistance came from church groups, NOT JWs only, but from OTHER church groups too. The rebuilding in many devasted and impoverished parts of the world is done by volunteer groups, like Habitat Humanity and the Salvation Army. They help to give people back their dignity and a hope for tomorrow, not of a nebulous paradise earth someday, but of believing they will have a roof over their heads and food to eat. NOW.

So, don't tell me about them paying the Bethelites they defrauded. There is no amount of money that can ever compensate any of us for what they took from us. Those people who were promised a lifetime of room and board should get just that and nothing less. A class action lawsuit might be just the thing to get them to start dumping some of their precious real estate and making some restitution.

I know that JR Brown recently said (I heard it myself) that they do not believe that they are inspired by God - makes me wonder if those guys ever "talk to each other". But, having heard that, it might not be too preposterous to imagine that someday they may also say "We're sorry". NOT.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

wiegel, somewhere on here there IS an accounting of the watchtowers financial statement for the australian branch. i'm sorry i dont remember exactly who's post.. i think jwfacts? i'll look around and if i find it i'll post the link here , in case you havent seen it before.

• wiegel
    wiegel

thanks, nuts, I would love to see it. trudy

• candidlynuts
  • ocsrf
    ocsrf

I didn't hear of the exact amount they would get, but what I did hear is that this is for those who become Special Pioneers. If they leave and fall off that list to either pioneer or whatever, I am thinking they would loose it. So it is not like a pension, they actually have to put in the required hours. I am sure many will become involved with the local RBC and local assembly halls, and so will have many of those hours eaten up by doing those kind of things (construction of KHs and maintaining JW buildings). I am sure the Society will not shed a tear if the fall out rate is high, in fact I would bet this would be very pleasing to them. This would get them off the hook. This past week KM talked about how we are suppose to view special pioneers. So I guess that is their way of preparing the local congregations to be generous to these ones. I think this whole thing ends up being a burden on some families as well, uncle so and so and aunty at bethel for ever are now coming to live near us. We need help them out. Funny thing is, the local brothers get stuck with the burden and the Society goes on as usual.

OC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit