Does the Policy of the Watchtower Create a Safe Haven for Child Molesters?

by listen 149 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    3W, KW is a minor. According to the "policy" the elders may disregard his testimony.

Operative word: may.

And of course, his testimony was disregarded. This wonderful and good policy is permanently stuck in a loop whose main purpose is to maintain silence. Why else would any sane person ignore the testimony of the victim?

Surely you must admit that JWs child abuse policy really is very good

Why in God's name would any sane person agree with you? Please tell me how your sect's rules protect children. Please tell me how your sect's rules keep children safe from harm. Please tell me how your sect's rules expose the monstrous act of child abuse.

Please also show me where in the Bible Jehovah God commanded his followers that a child must present 2 eyewitnesses to their rape as "proof".

Please show me where in the Bible Jehovah God instructed his followers that they may ignore the child's first hand testimony regarding their rape.

Please show me where in the Bible Jehovah God instructed his followers that they may disregard an eyewitness' testimony simply because they were an unbeliever.

These are the tenants your sect's "very good" policy is built upon. There is no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Are you really that obtuse? Let's consider this clever little piece of wordsmithing, AGAIN, shall we?

all in the Christian congregation would want to consider their personal and moral responsibility to alert the appropriate authorities in cases where there has been committed or there exists a risk that there might be committed a serious criminal offence of this type (see ks91, page 138) In child abuse cases such authorities might include the family doctor, the Social Services, the NSPCC, or the police.

This is all the loophole they need to completely negate this "policy." It says that all need to "consider" or think about whether or not they MIGHT have a responsibility to report. If so, the reporting MIGHT include people like CPS, or police. So the JW might report, which implies that they might not. And if they consider their responsibility to report allegations of child rape, and come to the conclusion that it is NOT their responsibility to alert the proper authorities, what "policy" have they violated by that decision? Because I see no way to violate this "policy," no matter the decision to report or not.

• blondie
    blondie

I have observed TW's tactics on the H2O DB.

It's a case of don't confuse him with the facts and in the case of eloquent ones on JWD, casting your pearls before this swine.

I have enjoyed your comments Big Tex and Odrade and others of like mind.

Blondie

• Forscher
    Forscher
    I see the hand written proof above. Funny but thats not what my copy says.

I predicted just that kind of response out of you Alt. So I won't bother "casting my pearls before swine". Damn I'm good!!
    Forscher

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Odrade it would be similar to the laws of this country saying: "If you pull a gun, and shoot an unarmed victim, you may be charged with a crime. The police would want to consider what their responsibilities are. If the police find your fingerprints on the gun they might conclude you were a suspect, unless there were 2 witnesses to the shooting. However any witness from a foreign country may be disqualified. And if the shooting victim were a minor, anything they say may be thrown out as well. Of course no one will no for certain who the killer was unless he confesses, in which case he may be subject to prosecution."

Yes that would certainly be a vast improvement over our current law enforcement system. Truly Jehovah's Witnesses' policies are far superior to anything this wicked old system could come up with.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL @ Tex's "law"

• Gary1914
    Gary1914
    Can you imagine this conversation taking place between Bethel and an elder.

Elder: The victim family wants to go to the police.

Bethel: No, tell them they shouldn't.

Elder: But your 1992 letter says all have a responsibility to report child molestation. And it says it is their absolute right to report even unsubstantiated abuse.

Bethel: Thats just a cover up. Thats not really our policy. The lawyers think we should try to hide it. They like being sued and going to court you know.

Do you think this conversation has ever taken place? Lets be reasonable please.

TW:

You don't have much of an imagination, do you?

I am an elder in my congregation.

The PO assigned recently assigned me to call the Serice Desk to report a case of child abuse.

A 17 year old brother had been found on top of a five year old girl by the girl's mother. They were both fully clothed when discovered.

The boy had been questioned and punishment was to be held in abeyance until we received instruction from the society. After I explained why I was calling they connected me to the Legal Department and I had almost the same conversation with a Watchtower representative that you outlined above. Well, okay, the words were not the same, but there was a VERY STRONG suggestion to handle the matter internally. One of the things I was aked by the representative was if the boy had had an erection. We had posed that question to him already and he denied having one and I told that to the representative. The rest of the conversation is too private to share and it might incriminate someone so I won't say more.

It's sad that you are so quick to defend the Watchtower organization because it does not matter how great their policy is. It is just a policy that they like to point to. It's implementation seems to be effective on a congregation by congregation basis and is iffy at best.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Thirdwitness,

I think you'll find that is the Dec 1 2000 BOE letter, not the 1992 one. I have copied it here for all to review. As odrade has explained, there is a difference between a policy of absolute procedures, and one of distance. The policy is very carefu concerning communicating with the societies legal entities, how to draw out as much information from the child, where to draw the line for legal implications, and also, how to guard against intimidation. However, when it concerns contacting the outside world, the society has no direct, absolute procedure. If fact the society distances its self from the responsibility and places it firmly with the elders dealing with the case: "all in the Christian congregation will want to consider their personal and moral responsibility to alert the appropriate authorities"

Like I have said before, I do not believe the majority of Joe Elder would want to hide child's molesters in the congregations. But it is the policy of the society that restricts them to do what is morally right. The policy should include a statement similar too: "the Christian congregation will want to immediately alert the appropriate authorities"

steve

WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF BRITAIN THE RIDGEWAY LONDON NW7 1RN TELEPHONE 020 8906 2211

December 1, 2000

ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN BRITIAN

Dear Brothers:

C O N F I D E N T I A L

We are writing by way of a reminder regarding the handling of matters that may involve legal issues or questions. Please do not make any copies of this letter, nor should it be read by others. It should be kept in the congregation’s confidential files for any future reference that may be required by the body of elders.

I. WHAT TO DO IN CERTAIN SPECFIC CASES

Child Abuse

The protection of children is of the utmost importance to us. (Psalm 127:3, Matthew 18:4-6) Jehovah’s people in no way condone crimes such as child abuse or endeavor to shield those committing offenses of this nature.

(POLICY 1)When elders receive reports of alleged physical or sexual abuse of a child, they should contact the Society’s Legal Department immediately.

This is still the case even if the report is second or third hand. Victims of such abuse need to be protected from further danger, and others need to be protected from potential harm.—See Awake! October 8, 1993, page 5 "How Can We Protect Our Children?" and January 22, 1985, page 8 "If the Worst Should Happen".

As members of the community in which Caesar still acts as God’s minister and hence still has a certain authority, all in the Christian congregation will want to consider their personal and moral responsibility to alert the appropriate authorities in cases where a serious criminal offence of this type has been committed or there exists a risk that one may be committed. (See ks91, page 138.) It is natural that the Christian congregation finds such situations to be distressing. There is clearly a need to consider the principles of ‘paying back Caesar’s things to Caesar’ (Matthew 22:21) and those concerning the spiritual cleanness of the congregation, such as, 1 Corinthians 5: 11-13.

When an elder receives an allegation that a child has been abused the first essential is to listen.

(POLICY 2) He should not interrupt until the complainant has finished but he may ask gentle, non-leading questions such as: "Is that everything?", or "Is there anything else you would like to tell me?"

(POLICY 3)Do not ask probing or intimate questions. This is very important and has legal implications. However surprising the allegations,

(POLICY 4)the elder should not indicate disbelief in any way. Nor should he express any criticism of the complainant. Elders are spiritual shepherds but are generally not qualified to evaluate the genuineness or the seriousness of an allegation of child abuse.

• avengers
    avengers

It's not gonna work WT. We will not fall for your lies. You are an evil slave and will not succeed into silencing us anymore.

You shall be silenced and exposed for what you really are.

No more; ever.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Still in the news today August 3 2006

Corrections creations
    Concord Monitor, NH - 1 hour ago
    ... Paul Berry, 50, made headlines after elders in his Wilton Jehovah's Witness congregation allegedly recommended prayer when they learned he was sexually abusing ...

Paul Berry, 50, made headlines after elders in his Wilton Jehovah's Witness congregation allegedly recommended prayer when they learned he was sexually abusing his daughters. He is serving 56 to 112 years for the abuse of one daughter - and used some of that time recently to make a ceramic pig with wings. He's titled it, "When Pigs Fly" and is asking $26.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit