Proverbs 8:22

by Ade 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• elatwra
    elatwra

Sorry im not sure how to edit my previous post so i ll try again.

Hi Ade. Would you elaborate on the alternative phrasing of Isaiah 43: 10? I m not sure I understand what you mean.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

This is a good one as the WT uses this verse to prove that Jesus was the first person created by God (Jehovah). As some already pointed out this is not to be taken as literal. A proverb or proverbial saying is not literal. And if you read the ENTIRE chapter, which the WT convienently leaves out - wisdom is the SISTER of prudence and is referred to as a SHE not a HE. Therefore this verse cannot be referring to a man and thus this "wisdom" cannot be Jesus. This verse is clearly speaking about God's qualities in a personified way which is not unusual in the bible. Just like man has masculine and feminine qualites - the same is true of God.

As Narkissos pointed out - wisdom is applied indirectly to Jesus in the NT but this verse in proverbs does not back up the WT teaching that God created Jesus and Jesus was the master worker who created everything else. This book of Proverbs is full of wise sayings only - not to be taken as literal.

Another verse the WT does this with is: The path of the righteous gets brighter and brighter, (proverbs 4:18) which is supposed to prove the new light doctrine. Not only is proverbs not a literal book it is not a book of prophecy either and this verse cannot be taken as a prophecy for the future either to say that there is a new light doctrine which justifies changes to doctrine.

Clearly the WT bible scholars (yes I am being sarcastic) have no idea how to properly read the bible as much of it is NOT literal and anyone can take one verse out of a whole book and twist it to anything they want it to "prove". Lilly

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's a long treatment of the subject. I haven't really examined it myself, so I don't necessarily condone it...

http://tektonics.org/jesusclaims/trinitydefense.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit