Best Disfellowshipping Comeback?

by slimboyfat 29 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That paragon of Christian virtue, J F Rutherford, had the following to say on the merit of wholehearted forgiveness:

There is a maxim among men: 'I can forgive, but not forget.' This does not proceed from the Lord, but proceeds from the Devil... When one repents and asks forgiveness, the forgiveness should be complete and absolute, even as the Lord forgave us. Creation p. 220.

Yet it strikes me that disfellowshipped ones who are reinstated are very rarely appointed to any positions in Society - a strange state of affairs given that forgiveness is supposed to be complete. I know of one brother who was disfellowshipped ten years ago who was recently appointed as an elder - but his congregation was in dire need of elders. But apart from that example I am hard-pressed to think of many other disfellowshipped ones making much progress in the organisation after returning.

So my question is: what is the best comeback from disfellowshipping anyone on the board is aware of?

Have any gone on to be COs or DOs, for example? My guess is that going to Gilead or serving as a special pioneer would be extremely unlikely to say the least. Is there an actual policy stated anywhere against allowing people who have been disfellowshipped at some point from such "theocratic blessings"?

You would think there would be at least some life stories of Witnesses who went off the rails, but later got reinstated and did really well by serving in Bethel or something like that. But I can't recall any such experiences in the magazines. Are others aware of any?

Kind of a bummer for anyone who has been disfellowshipped to think that even if they get reinstated, their chances of organisational progress are virtually nill.

The organisation certainly seems to take the view: "I can forgive, but not forget".

Slim

• garybuss
    garybuss

I might be wrong . . . but look up Percy Chapman.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

There is no problem (except for some cases) with giving a one-timed dfed person privs and status in the congo. What I've seen is that once a person is dfed/reinstated they are unlikely to do what it takes to measure up. Now whether that is because of lack of help from the body, or feelings of unworthiness, or (insert reason) I dont know.

If they live down the dfing and kiss enough ass they are just as likely as anyone else to be appointed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Appointed as an elder?

What about CO, Bethel, Gilead?

Slim

• blondie
    blondie

Reappointment of DF'd JWs allowed after:

Regular/auxiliary pioneers--1 year

*** km 2/91 p. 7 Announcements ***

A full year must have passed following a judicial reproof or reinstatement before one can be considered for auxiliary or regular pioneer service.—See Our Kingdom Ministry insert, August 1986, paragraphs 21 and 23.

MS/Elders

km 12/70 p. 4 Question Box ***

If at one time a person had been disfellowshiped or disassociated, may he ever give a public talk? This might occur, but only after at least ten years from reinstatement. (For details see "The Watchtower," 8/15/65, p. 497; "Lamp," p. 121.)

w65 8/15 p. 497 par. 18 Turning to Jehovah ***

If, because of the blameless conduct of one since his reinstatement, the congregation has come to view him as a good example, then if such a person, who was at one time disfellowshiped but has now returned and shown humility, proved his love for Jehovah’s Word and work for ten years after reinstatement, it would be in harmony with the parable of the prodigal son if such one were used as a congregation book study conductor and allowed to give public talks. Later, he may even be privileged to serve in a greater capacity in Jehovah’s organization. If, since his reinstatement, he has proved himself to be an example to the flock of God during ten years of faithful service, and if the congregation committee sees that such a one can be given a greater privilege of service, why not grant it to him?

MS--1 year (verbal)

Elder--5 to 20 years depending on the notoriety of the offense (verbal) unless you have a source

Blondie

• morty
    morty

You are so informative Blondie...

I swear you have a magic wand behind that screen and *poof* you have the information!!

• frozen one
    frozen one

Where in the Bible is ten years mentioned? I knew an elder who had been disfellowshipped a couple of times for his drinking problem. Actually looking back, it was probably around 10 years before he was appointed. He lost his position because his daughter was fond of fornicating. She didn't live in his house when that happened. I know the DO was involved in the punishment. Don't know the details.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, morty, I found it so fascinating. Imagine, David committed adultery and had a man put to death and he stayed king of Israel without even being removed.

Blondie

• Quentin
    Quentin

Ten years was the amount of time my father had to wait before being allowed to give the "public talk"...if memory serves I don't think he was allowed to give the No.1 talk in ms either...wonder how long the prodigal son waited before "privileges" were restored...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So appointment to anything higher up than the body of elders is unheard of then?

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit