Kingdumb Halls??

by Wordly Andre 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

It's more of a cost issue than anything else.

Cheaper to build, heat, cool, and remember that it's easier for the ameteur workers to raise a pre-fab wall than it is to frame out and hang windows as well.

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

Used to be heavily involved in KH design with the Regional QB Committees, so here's the real reason why new KH's don't have windows:

1. In a three or four day QB project, getting the walls and roof framed the first day is an absolute necessity, or it blows the whole project. Framing for windows takes a lot of extra time and would threaten the project schedule.

2. In an effort to standardize the KH designs across the US to make QB's quicker and easier to estimate costs, the engineering dept. at Bethel developed about a dozen standard KH plans (each with a few options) in the mid to late 80's. Many new KH's would be built in urban areas, and windows are a security threat, in that it is easier for a thief or vandal (or nasty apostate) to break into the KH through a window. So the standard KH designs did not include windows.

3. Because of No. 2 above, insurance rates would be significantly higher for a KH with windows than for one without.

Kingdom Halls built before these standardized plans were implemented in all the Regional QB Committees usually had windows, but it was up to the local congregation to decide whether to have windows or not.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

PS: A buddy of mine in high school said that his pastor at church stated that the reason the local KH did not have windows was because JW's didn't want anyone seeing what we did inside the KH, such as animal sacrifice. I'm not kidding, he really believed this.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i always imagined it to be insurance related

• blondie
    blondie

It depends on the area and the congregation. There are 12 congregations in this area and 6 have windows and 6 don't; one was just built recently and has windows.

In some neighborhoods that are deemed "dangerous" there may not be windows; also it is less expensive to build a building without windows. Insurance may be cheaper as well.

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1
    There are 12 congregations in this area and 6 have windows and 6 don't; one was just built recently and has windows.

Interesting, maybe something has changed, or different regions of the country have different rules. I haven't been involved in a QB since about 2001, so it might have changed since then. But when I was involved with RBC's in the South, installing windows was not an option, regardless of what the congregation wanted.

Brandon

• blondie
    blondie

It's amazing the influence some brothers have................

• sspo
    sspo

Many KH don't have windows because they don't want apostates to throw a brick thru it and hit the speaker while he is given the much needed spiritual food.

• sspo
    sspo

Hey Blondy

Are those KH'S in Soutg Africa?

The last one overlooking the ocean is worth visiting

• Stealth
    Stealth

Because they don't put them in prisons and detention centers?

• blondie
    blondie

The last one was on the island of St. Helena.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit