Gas Prices Today Are Cheaper Than Years Ago

by JW_Researcher 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

FlyingHighNow wrote:

So there was no fighting before the Bush administration?

Ahem, tell us, what were gas prices before the Bush Admin? Your point is that there was fighting before GW took office. Notice the gas prices were well under $2 per gallon then. Perhaps it's Bush and his big oil cabinet that are responsible for the ridiculous rise in gas prices since Bush hit the White House. The war is just a way for Haliburton Cheney and Big Oil Bush to make mega money from defense contracts and try to fool gullible Americans into believing gas prices are supposed to be this high.

Other than the obvious reasoning fallacy (Post hoc ergo Propter Hoc), this type of analysis is superficial and deeply flawed.

Gas prices today are cheaper, when used as a numerator over many and varied denominators, than in years past. For example, measure inflation, wages, CPI, etc. This is only the beginning of any meaningful analysis of gas prices over time.

Here is an easy to use primer on how to compare prices over time: "The Consumer Price Index: Measuring the Changing Value of Money" at http://qrc.depaul.edu/djabon/cpi.htm

It is a bit trickier than 'gas was X price before Bush and Y price after Bush so it is more expensive because of Bush.'

Unfortunately, it is also less amusing to read facts than rants.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

you're good at talking about meaningful analysis arent you?

• Core88
    Core88

I make the same hourly wage as I did before bush took office...many families I know have been through allot of changes in the past few years and make less at there new jobs then there old ones, and prices in gas are more for all of us; making it a "real life" hard ship, at least for me and the people I know. I am sure I am not the only one finding it hard to make ends meet because of gas prices. Core88

• kid-A
    kid-A

Unfortunately, it is also less amusing to read facts than rants.

Uh-huh. Heres some "facts" for you pal.

Did George W. Bush Invade Iraq by Lying?

Why did Bush start a war that:

• Has killed more than 200 American servicemen and women, and seriously injured hundreds more
    • Has killed thousands of Iraq civilians, many of them women and children
    • Will cost American Tax payers more than $100 Billion, of money desperately needed here at home
    • Has destroyed America’s credibility around the world
    • Has already significantly damaged morale, confidence, and the readiness of the US armed forces

Here’s what Bush said:

Bush’s Claim

Reality

"Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent.”

State of the Union Address – 1/28/2003

Iraq has 500 tons of chemical weapons:

- Sarin gas

- Mustard gas

- VX Nerve agent

Not True

Zero Chemical Weapons Found Not a drop of any chemical weapons has been found anywhere in Iraq

“U.S. intelligence indicates that Saddam Hussein
    had upwards of 30,000 munitions capable
    of delivering chemical agents.”

Iraq has 30,000 weapons capable of dumping chemical weapons on people

Not True

Zero Munitions Found Not a single chemical weapon’s munition has been found anywhere in Iraq

“We have also discovered through intelligence
    that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas."

Iraq has a growing fleet of planes capable of dispersing chemical weapons almost anywhere in the world

Not True

Zero Aerial Vehicles Found Not a single aerial vehicle capable of dispersing chemical or biological weapons, has been found anywhere in Iraq

"Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications and statements by people
    now in custody reveal that
    Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of Al Qaida."

Iraq aids and protects terrorists , including members of Al Qaeda

And implied that Iraq was somehow behind 9/11

Not True

Zero Al Qaeda Connection

To date, not a shred of evidence connecting Hussein with Al Qaida or any other known terrorist organizations have been revealed. (besides certain Palestinian groups who represent no direct threat to the US)

"Our intelligence sources tell us that he (Saddam) has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production."

Iraq has attempted to purchase metal tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production

Not True

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as well as dozens of leading scientists declared said tubes unsuitable for nuclear weapons production -- months before the war.

"Satellite photographs reveal that Iraq is rebuilding facilities at [past nuclear] sites."

Bush speech to the nation – 10/7/2002

Iraq is rebuilding nuclear facilities at former sites.

Not True

Two months of inspections at these former Iraqi nuclear sites found zero evidence of prohibited nuclear activities there

IAEA report to UN Security Council – 1/27/2003

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

Iraq recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa

Not True

The documents implied were known at the time by Bush to be forged and not credible.

"We know he's been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."

VP Dick Cheney – “Meet the Press” 3/16/2003

Iraq has Nuclear Weapons for a fact

Not True

“The IAEA had found no evidence or plausible indication of the revival of a nuclear weapons program in Iraq."

IAEA report to UN Security Council – 3/7/2003

"We gave him a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in."

Bush Press Conference 7/14/2003

Iraq’s Saddam Hussein refused to allow UN inspectors into Iraq

Not True

UN inspectors went into Iraq to search for possible weapons violations from December 2002 into March 2003

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

kid-A,

This thread is on gas prices.

On the occasions that I have read your posts, it seems (not a scientifically significant sample has been collected) that you rarely post insightful, documented observations or conclusions. You seem to have emotionally-laden reactions to authority figures. You seem to be emotionally stunted. I am sorry that your experience on this planet has caused you to be so damaged in this regard.

Your post above seems to be typical of your approach in general. I’m not trying to be rude but, rather, supply helpful constructive criticism.

You attack others in an awkward and amateurish manner ("pal?").

You seem peevish and petulant and …I hope children are not present in your life yet (and my guess is that they are not)….but if they do arrive….you will find detaching yourself as your largest hurdle to parenting (read self-absorbed).

Sincere best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery !!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I suppose one could blame the gas prices on inflation, but if that were the case wouldn't Bush have raised the minimum wage, and COLA increases in Social Security. In 8 years I don't believe the minimum wage was raised, and the COLA increase is the lowest it's ever been. It can't be simply inflation that is causing it. I'm a Bush-basher of the highest degree, I don't blame Bush for causing the Gas prices to skyrocket, I just blame him for letting it happen. The other stuff that he's done is stuff for another thread, and honestly I don't think I have enough time in the day to discuss that.

• rassillon
    rassillon

I make much more now than before Bush, so do many of my friends....? Some don't, That is just the way things go. The economy goes up and down. Peoples situations change. Many Many factors are involved. No one likes it when they are on the short end of the stick. When you get there you have to ask "what am I going to do about it?" I choose to make my own destiny rather than rely on the government. The people in New Orleans waited on the government, see what happened to them. If life gets tough for me I will just get tougher, until I die. Crying about a problem does nothing to solve it. JW_r I apologize, I think I got off topic a bit, sorta, kinda. Please forgive me.... -r

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Kid-A,

Did you create and assemble all the data in your chart? If not, from where did it come?

I, personally, say throw all of 'em out of Washington, but that ain't gonna happen. So, whenever I see data that is undocumented or no reference given I like to ask who compiled it. I can listen to Rush bash dems and libs all day but I very seldom, if ever, hear him say when they are right. Dems, on the other hand, all say the same thing, "Bush Lied." That's it.

I don't like high gas prices but I believe that it's cheaper to drive today that it has been in the past. There are myriad resources that tell us that our economy is rockin'! Can it all be a republican conspiracy?

I guess the two main questions are, Can a republican ever do anything right? Which dem has a bona fide plan for Iraq, other than "let's just leave"?

Respectfully,

SR

p.s. if this is too far off topic, please disregard.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

When adjusted for inflation, gas may be cheaper, (maybe but not quite convenced) but when you factor in the price of homes, health care and taxes along with stagnant wages, it does not feel all that cheap to me.

• anewme
    anewme

Well maybe the prices were overdue for a rise (I know in Europe the price of gas has been high for many years) I dont know.

But I think all would agree the current price is definitely leading to more conversations about alternative fuel sources. It is just the right climate for the geniuses to come forth with their ideas to help make a big change in this country and the rest of the world which is having a hard time with all the pollutants.

Im glad people are talking about solar and wind farms and turbine power and conservation and ecology.

Let the gas prices continue to rise and may society come out better for it!!!

Respectfully,
    Anewme
    (Please dont hit me. I bruise easily!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit