Watchtower Chess....My move

by Black Sheep 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I asked my SIL if he can help me to get copies of July 1 through to Sept 1 Watchtowers. He knows that I am disillusioned with the WT and that I am born in, but never been baptised and he doesn't shun me.

Here is his reply.

"Yes I can help, but it would depend on why you wanted them and what you wanted to accomplish by reading those issues, :-)

I have had a few ideas on how to reply, but I would like to hear your comments before I reply.

Cheers

Chris

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Why not tell him the truth. You want them in order to validate what the wt has told you vs. what you know to be true?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My first reaction,

"I didn't realise Jehovah was selective about who read His Organisation's teachings."

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if they ask people at the door that before they offer them a WT publication? I wonder if the WTS asks that when someone requests a publication from them through the mail? I wonder what is so secret and confidential in the publications that the WTS is afraid to let non-JWs read them?

My answer: Nothing strange, just want to read them and see what the good news is.

Did you know that in this day of no subscriptions that JWs still have magazine routes. Can you imagine if this sister queried each person as to their motive for reading the magazines?

km 2/05 p. 3 par. 5 The Memorial Season—A Time of Increased Activity ***

A sister in Japan wanted to auxiliary pioneer even though she had a full-time job. An elder suggested that each day before going to her secular job, she might do street witnessing near a train station. After overcoming her own timidity and the ridicule of some commuters, she developed a magazine route of some 40 persons, including commuters, station workers, and nearby shop owners. She placed an average of 235 magazines a month.

km 2/05 p. 8 par. 5 Feature Magazines in Your Ministry ***

Setting a personal monthly goal of magazine placements can help us to be more magazine conscious. Do you have a magazine route? Do you offer magazines to those whom you meet in the ministry? Could you offer magazines in street work, in business territory, and in public places? Do you carry magazines with you when traveling, shopping, and going to appointments? Take advantage of every appropriate opportunity to help others benefit from The Watchtower and Awake!

km 5/05 p. 8 par. 1 Cultivate Interest With a Magazine Route ***

One way to cultivate their interest is by means of a magazine route. When you place magazines, make a record of the person’s name and address, the date of the call, the issues that were accepted, and the scripture that was discussed, along with anything you noticed that might indicate the person’s interests. As each new issue of the magazines arrives, look for points that will appeal to those on your route, and feature them when you visit.

km 1/05 p. 8 par. 2 How to Use Sample Presentations ***

Discernment is also required in the use of questions. Questions that are appropriate in some places may make people feel uncomfortable in others.

Blondie

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I wonder if they ask people at the door that before they offer them a WT publication? I wonder if the WTS asks that when someone requests a publication from them through the mail? I wonder what is so secret and confidential in the publications that the WTS is afraid to let non-JWs read them?

You echo my thougths here Blondie , but I don't think it is the time to put that to them

Nothing strange, just want to read them and see what the good news is.

That is a good reply, but they already know that I don't think there is any good news in the WT. I blew my chances of getting away with that one a couple of years ago.

I like the quote from the OKM Feb 2005. I might use that.

"Take advantage of every appropriate opportunity to help others benefit from The Watchtower and Awake!"

Thanks Blondie. You are a sweetheart.

Cheers

chris

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Bummer.

I just noticed the word 'appropriate' in that quote.

The Bar Stewards are experts in leaving themselves a loophole.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In the spirit of theocratic warfare, you could reverse yourself, and say that you think that maybe the truth is in there, afterall.

S

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Why not tell him the truth. You want them in order to validate what the wt has told you vs. what you know to be true?

The more I think about your answer, Stealth, the more sense it makes to me. Thanks Chris

• blondie
    blondie

I'm inactive, I get the mags from an active JW.........I just said I wanted to read them. If they want you to come back or want you to get interested, how else could you do that, by reading the Bible?

Blondie

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Satanus.

Yep. I have thought of that tactic. It is probably the the best advice I can be given, but I doubt that I could handle it.

Given the paranoid contents of the WTs I have requested, I doubt they would trust me anyway. I would have to become SuperDub for years before they would trust me again.

Chris

of the Me and My Big Mouth Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit