Books

by RPT 10 Replies latest jw friends

• RPT
    RPT

What is the best book I can give to a JW to convince her its all a big con ? Maybe she will read it maybe she wont but at least I said I tried my best.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Depends what sort of person we are talking about.

A studious, analytical person might appreciate the academic approach of James Penton's Apocalypse Delayed.

Of the Raymond Franz books, I would say In Search of Christian Freedom is better because it details problems in Watchtower beliefs and practices without complicating it with Franz's personal story like in the first book.

The best critiques of Witness theology from an Evangelical viewpoint are those by Robert M. Bowman Jnr., such as Jehovah's Witnesses: Why they Read the Bible the Way they Do.

I have just finished Don Cameron's book Captives of a Concept, but I am not sure it would have convinced me the Witnesses were wrong had I read it earlier.

If they are likely to respond to personal experiences and life stories among the best of these is Bryan McGlothin's.

I would avoid books like Thirty Years A Watchtower Slave by Schnell and Awake to the the Watchtower! by Doug Harris, or anything by Jerry Bergman, Walter Martin or the other hacks providing hatchet jobs on the Witnesses.

Slim

• Honesty
    Honesty

ANSWERING JEHOVAH'S WINESSES Subject by Subject by DAVID A. REED

ANSWERING JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES Verse by Verse by DAVID A. REED

60 QUESTIONS EVERY JW SHOULD BE ASKED by IAN BROWN

She might not read them because two were written by a former JW and a lot of JW's are afraid of former JW's. They have been told we worship Satan.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The Bible book of Romans and John's Gospel.

ISoCF is the one that convinced me.

I agree with SBF on Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave - when I first left it read as caustic. Now it is very solid in it's arguments. The witness mind will not see it as objective until some time out of the borg.

Jeff

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Crisis of Conscience told me everything I needed to run as fast as I could out of the Kingdom Hall and never look back. But, like the others, many won't read it stating it as apostate literature. You may put a note on it that says "truth should be able to stand up to even the closest of scrutiny: what is there to hide if it's the truth?" I have an overwhelming urge to gift wrap copies and put them on doorsteps. I still may do it.

Good luck!!!

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled
    I have an overwhelming urge to gift wrap copies and put them on doorsteps. I still may do it.

OH SNAP!!!! Make sure nobody sees you!!!! LOL!!!

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled
    OH SNAP!!!! Make sure nobody sees you!!!! LOL!!!

I'll put on a nice dress and put them in a bookbag. People will be so relieved to see me out spreading "truth". If they only knew.

• apfergus
    apfergus

I was a big fan of Apocalypse Delayed, myself.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It all depends on how committed she is to being a jw. I know when I was a zealous jw, no book would have convinced me that it wasn't the truth. I wouldn't have read anything even mildly critical of the wts anyway.

If, on the other hand, she is having a few doubts, then Crisis of Conscience would be a good choice, or maybe get her to do a little reading on the Internet on sites like freeminds first, then give her a book.

• RR
    RR

C.T. Russell's The Divine Plan of the Ages

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit