I just discovered Guns n' Roses

by thecarpenter 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I just discovered how good Guns n' Roses are. I was listening to a bunch of their songs and I can't believe they wrote so many good songs. I was a quite a head banger before I became a witness and after joining I avoided a lot of heavy metal rock and a lot of worldly music in general.

(Was trying to listen to good acceptable music)

I am listening to paradise city, welcome to the jungle, Janie's got a gun, sweet child of mine, knocking on heavens door and many more. I heard some of these songs in passing but didn't know who wrote it or really listen to it.

This same thing happened to me about three years ago when I discover many U2 songs that I haven't heard before (can you believe I didn't know who Bono was?)

I discovered Coldplay, John Mayer and Dido about a year ago.

I'm really starting to get back into music again, maybe even playing the guitar again.

Has this happened to you when you started fading or since leaving the organization?

• Confession
    Confession

Carpenter,

I worked in radio for 15 years, the first seven as an on-air DJ. I remember when GNR began to explode. (About '88 as I recall.) I didn't really like them too much--basically because I never liked Axel Rose's singing. But I did respect them.

At that time there were too many hair bands for me. A promoter would put them together, paint one's hair green and the other's purple, etc. But GNR was clearly not like that. I respected that they were a real band playing real music.

By the way, it was Aerosmith who did "Janie's Got a Gun." Did GNR cover it later?

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

you are right, it was by aerosmith. The mp3 file was mislabeled, now I discovered a song by aerosmith that I like. (Boy, it's like rediscovering music all over again!)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I remember the song by GNR called "Smells Like Teen Spirit". It seemed like it was a rock anthem for awhile there.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I don't know why I always get Nirvana mixed up with GNR. Kurt Cobain and Axel Rose. Maybe, it because they were both into heroin.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, I thought that was an ironic comment....for it was precisely that song that marked the end of the era of late '80s hair bands. Not that GNR exactly fell into that niche because they were far, far better than 95% of crap being peddled to the masses, but the kind of rock 'n roll music they made just seemed so passe by 1992. I remember that Use Your Illusion came out at the same time as Nevermind (Nirvana) and Gish (Smashing Pumpkins), and as much as I liked their older songs (especially "Sweet Child O' Mine" which was a favorite form 1987-1988) I just couldn't stand the excesses of "November Rain," and especially that video that went on forever with the guitar solo that has aerial zoom-ins of Slash about 20 times. Not to mention that I was so completely alienated from pop hair bands with their "power ballads" and insipid lyrics about pretty much nothing....GNR were better than most (especially Slash's guitar work), but of course I loved real metal (enter: Metallica, which still made great stuff at the time)....but for the most part I was into all that great alternative stuff in the late '80s, so when 1991 gave us Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers' master work, it was such a relief!!

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

Gee, I remember arguing like forever with the elders and my parents about the music I listened to and played. To me music has always been one of the most important things. When other saved money to buy a car, I saved it to buy a guitar. No need to say I was kind of a black sheep in the congregation. Thinking about that reminds me how glad that I am not in J-dubism anymore. (sorry if I drifted off the topic) The Guns n' Roses rock!!! The Red Hot Chili Peppers too. I especially like "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" and "Stadium Arcadium" (even though there's not one of their records I don't like...)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Ah the memories! I loved Guns and Roses - I had to burn the Use your Illusion albums twice once when 16 and again when 17 or 18!

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana was my leaving JWs anthem when I was 16 - the album my favourite of all time, closely chased by Radiohead.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Music in my view is food for the soul...I cant live without it to be honest.

I have a vast collection of rock music of which GnR form some of it...amazing band and similar to Crumpet I had to get rid of Appetite for Destruction, and twice LOL.

Enjoy your voyage of discovery.

Some suggestions are early Metallica, check out Seether and Trivium. (Great bands)

DB74

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Lawn Mower Death are excellent too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit